1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

computer does not recognise android as a storage device

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by lisakulp, Jul 16, 2011.

1. lisakulp

lisakulp Lurker
    None

Jul 16, 2011
    My computer runs on Windows XP and I have the HTC Desire HD. My computer just came back from repairs - new hard drive installed- and things don't work the way they used.

I put my phone on tether - disk drive- and plug in the phone.

The device manager shows an android phone and says the device is working properly.

But when I go to My Computer the phone is not there.

SO I can't access files on my phone. Not can I do a pass through to share the internet on the phone with the computer.

Has anyone experienced this and found a solution?

Advertisement

2. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Android Expert

Jan 24, 2011
    Does it show an extra usb storage drive in my computer? Usually it will put the name of the device on, but sometimes it doesn't.
    Fir instance: I plug in a usb stick - sometimes the computer will show the brand ie. Lexar storage device, sometimes it won't. It will say generic. It always shows my phone's sd card as generic. That I can access and tend to my own files like pictures, etc. It does show the phone, but I can't access anything. Samsung's desktop manager sucks.

I just tried it. You need to set up a new connection under connection wizard. I think it was share connection. Showed up under connections as "incoming" connection. I've got my Samsung modem listed in choices.

3. sitlet

None

Apr 11, 2010
    With XP you will need to download the drivers for your phone.

4. collier29411

collier29411 Lurker
    None

May 6, 2012
    i am having the same issue. htc evo 4g. computer shows the device, but says i need to install a removable disk in the drive