• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Computer remote via 3G

Mada

Android Enthusiast
Sep 5, 2011
Alabama
Currently I am using PC Remote Controller to access my computer via wifi. However, I cannot figure out how to get it to connect via 3G. I know it can, because it says so in the description and they have a step-by-step guide on there website, however, it is confusing even with the screen shots and I think that is because the guide they have is outdated. Anyone know a way or figured it out?

I would be posting links to the online version of the Android market and the developer's website with the step-by-step guide however, I cannot share links as a new member to this forum.

Thank you very much for any input you are able to share. I am willing to consider other applications if they do not cost much.
I am only looking into getting an application like this for entertainment purposes, to fool around with my outdated-knowledge-of-technology of family and friends I have.

ALR350Z

Currently I am using PC Remote Controller to access my computer via wifi. However, I cannot figure out how to get it to connect via 3G.

Disable WiFi in the settings of your phone? Or switch off your router? (Only if your computer is on another WiFi net or physically connected to the internet).

I know it can, because it says so in the description and they have a step-by-step guide on there website, however, it is confusing even with the screen shots and I think that is because the guide they have is outdated. Anyone know a way or figured it out?
There is no difference in m.o. to set up. The RDP software simply uses whatever connection is available with a preference for WiFi. It's just very laggy on 3G. Not at all comfortable to work with and confusing. But if you're in a pinch: it works!

I am willing to consider other applications if they do not cost much.
Try Teamviewer. Has worked for me for almost 2 years. And it doesn't cost much: it's FREE (for personal use)!

I am only looking into getting an application like this for entertainment purposes, to fool around with my outdated-knowledge-of-technology of family and friends I have.
Yeah, yeah, yeah. That's what they all say of course... :D

But if you think you can run it on someone else's computer without them being aware of it you're wrong. You always need the other side's cooperation (namely their ID and their unique, randomly generated password, which never works twice).

Anyway, RDP is ideal for remotely accessing your own computer back home or at the office as if you sat in front of it, or for troubleshooting your (own or someone else's) computer, if you are so inclined. It's enabled me to be a 24/7 helpdesk/system administrator for a few friends' Macs when problems suddenly pop up without having to synchronize appointments or brave traffic (and all the associated expenses, risks, non-productive time wasted and environmental pollution). Which in one case is quite impossible anyway because those Macs are on the other side of the Atlantic...
Net result: almost instant 'service'. Even across the ocean. It's an incredible time and expense saver!

I simply listen to their complaints and take over their machines to sort it out. All the while they can see, on their screen, exactly what I'm doing. So if they don't like what they see me doing they can instantly pull the plug on the connection.

I usually operate Teamviewer comfortably on one of my iMacs or MBP with a proper mouse and enough screen real estate when I troubleshoot other people's Macs. But in a pinch I can (and have) run it from my Android phone too.

Oh, and I've also used it to run Windows Vista and Windows 7 machines remotely, either from my Macs or my Android phone. It's cross-platform. That was always on WiFi, though. Over 3G is too much of a hassle.

Reactions: Mada
Upvote 0
Most RDP will require you to set up port fowarding which is why getting these things going can be a bit of hit and miss. I am trying to get Imperio running at the moment, they do have good support when you ask a question and one of the few who allow try before you buy. I have also looked at PhoneMyPC. However with the setting up required to get all RDP to work I don't know why developers think people will pay first instead of after they have got it running?

Upvote 0
I've used Teamviewer. IMO, it's nothing more than another VNC clone. Not knocking it, but VNC is much slower than RDP in general and less secure. I don't know what the app the OP is referring to uses though.

I haven't a clue what's under the hood. I just drive it. And it gets me where I want to go...

But what do you mean less secure? You know of VNC sessions that were compromised? I don't. Solid as the Bank of England, afaic.

Upvote 0
Thank you for recommending Teamviewer! I do agree it is great! You can even see your mouse and the partner's mouse (a feature PC Remote Controller did not have) If only I found Teamviewer before I paid the full version of PC Remote Controller! Oh well, lesson learned! It was only $5 anyways, no big deal.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones