1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Computer USB drains battery

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by meanmon13, Jul 8, 2011.

1. meanmon13

meanmon13 Lurker
    None

Oct 23, 2010
    For a few weeks now I have not been able to charge my phone using the USB port on my computer. When I connect it to the PC the red light comes on and the phone says its charging but the battery is actually draining at a rate of a % every few minutes.

For Example:
    I connected my phone (LG Ally running Velocity 1.1) to my computer at work (Windows 7 Professional x64) via USB. It had been 9 hours and 47 minutes since it was connected to a charger and was a 77%.... 11 minutes later the battery was at 75% and 32 minutes later it was at 72%. I asked a coworker to try connecting it to his computer (Windows 7 Professional x64) and 10 minutes later it was at 70%. I gave up try to charge it and decided to wait until I got home. 4 hours later the battery was at 66%. Using the wall charger the phone charges normally.

Has anyone heard of this happening before and do you know how to fix it???

~Meanmon13

Advertisement

2. KingOfGreen

KingOfGreen Android Expert
    None

Nov 3, 2010
    Chandler, Az
    Have you Installed the usb drivers

3. Goonie21

Goonie21 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 13, 2010
    Mac tech support
    Memphis
    I have had that have randomly to. sometimes it will charge on computer sometimes it does not... usb drivers are installed.

4. dautley

dautley Android Expert
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    Dickson, TN.
    I've had this happen before once or twice with the phone getting warm like something was running in the background. I just turned off the phone, pulled the battery for a minute and rebooted to fix it.

5. meanmon13

meanmon13 Lurker
    None

Oct 23, 2010
    I have the USB drivers installed and I've tried doing a battery pull and killing all running apps while its charging. Still does it >.<

6. UncleMike

UncleMike Android Expert
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    Central NJ
    Did charging work normally on this computer before, and now it doesn't, or is this the first time you've tried charging from this computer? The reason I ask is that I noticed that both machines you tried charging from are running a 64-bit version of Windows. The last time I tried installing drivers on a 64-bit version of Windows, 64-bit drivers were required. I don't remember if the 32-bit drivers wouldn't install or just wouldn't work. If this is the case here, the phone might only be getting a minimal 100mA charge, but is actually using more than 100mA to operate - hence your battery is discharging.

7. meanmon13

meanmon13 Lurker
    None

Oct 23, 2010
    It has never worked on this computer but it does work on my home computer which is Windows 7 Ultimate x64. Its probably worth note that both work computers its been tried on are of the same type, namely, Dell Precision M4500s. As for it using more battery than the 100mA charge the thing is the battery discharges significantly faster when connected to the computer as opposed to not being connected. So if its receiving 100mA it shouldn't discharge faster then when its not connected right?

8. mchype14

mchype14 Newbie
    None

Dec 13, 2010
    College Student, Blogger
    Pittsburgh area, PA, US
    this also used to happen to me. But here is the thing...

If it was a desktop system, the front usb ports ALWAYS sucked battery power AWAY from the phone, but most back usb ports charged... but VERY slowly.

However, On my laptops, They did charge.... slowly... but they charged.

Another thing that i thought about, is that when it charges there was so much going on in the background that it would utilize almost 100% cpu usage.

Also, I have my phone overclocked, so when it was charging on computer, i turned overclock back to stock speeds, and then I would go into running services and stop any that i didnt need, i would also end any apps that i didnt need. and on top of that, as long as i wasnt tethering internet, i would also turn off data.

if you really dont need your phone to be on, then you can try just putting it into airplane mode, and that will cut out a lot of battery usage from the cell towers and stuff.

hope this helps.

9. death2all110

death2all110 Android Expert
    None

Jun 25, 2010
    Male
    Systems Administrator Windows/Unix
    Illinois, US
    The front ports on most if not all desktops either are A) REALLY low powered or B) Not powered at all... Front USB ports have never been recommended for things like that.

10. kyle5434

kyle5434 Member
    None

Dec 18, 2010
    USB port charging is pretty hit and miss. Even an AC powered USB hub I have won't charge my Ally. You're safest with an AC/USB adapter - I usually get mine at meritline.com - though sometimes it takes a couple of weeks if it has to ship from Asia.

Tags: