• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Computer won't recognize SD Card as Mass Storage

Just went out and bought a new Sandisk Micro SD 32gb to store my music, photos and videos on.

The only problem is whenever I connect the phone to my computer, it only ends up recognizing the phone. I can click on the phone and see the Card/Phone Storage, but this doesn't help considering I'm syncing most of my things from iTunes.

It needs to be recognized as Storage on my computer, but it doesn't. I never had a problem with my HTC Evo with a 16gb card(which I was using just a week ago).

How can I correct this?

After plugging in your phone, pull down the notification bar and tap on where it says 'USB Connected', then on the next screen tap the button on the bottom that says 'Connect USB storage'. This will mount the phone and external card as USB mass storage devices, like a thumb drive.

Unfortunately clicking it does nothing. It doesn't take me to any new screen. It says "MTP Connected" and that's all.

Edit: Also, whenever I click the "Connect Storage to PC" I get a

"Attention: USB is connected. Remove Cable" notification. If I click the button before putting in the cable, it still doesn't mount.

Upvote 0
Sounds like you might have a driver issue or you didnt format the card correctly.
I have found that by using your device to format the card when its new saves a lot of problems down the road.
Try to format the card in the phone, then hook it to your computer and see what happens.

Yep, I never reformatted the card.

Thanks! It's working now.

Upvote 0
Or not....

I reformatted the card and it worked....once. Now, I reconnected my phone to store some more photos, and once again, I get no mass storage option. There is no way I'm going to be reformatting my card everytime I want to put more music/photos onto it.

Might be returning it if this continues....

Any advice?

Upvote 0
Go to Settings|Applications|Development and enable USB Debugging.
Connect to the PC via USB.
Pull down the shade and tap on USB Connected
Then tap on Connect USB Storage

This will allow you mass storage access to the SD card as well as internal storage.

Additionally you have wait the balloon on your computer telling "Your device is ready to use". Then you can start pulling down the shade and top "Connect USB Storage".

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones