• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Computer won't recognize while in Download mode only

Using Windows 7 x64 with drivers freshly installed
SGH-I897, Firmware 2.2, Baseband I897UCJI6, Kernel jetaek.lee@sep-11#1, build FROYO.UCJI6 (I'm Rooted)
Factory reset performed and drivers unistalled/reinstalled

Been searching for hours on this and can't get it to work. Captivate will connect to computer normally and allow file transfers. But when I try to put in download mode, the computer won't recognize it. I get a popup window that says USB device not recognized.

I'm trying to restore back to complete stock because I'm having random shut downs and other misc issues. I was trying to us Odin to do it but it doesn't recognize the phone. So I powered up the phone, started Odin, then plugged the phone in...Odin sees the phone now but of course needs it in Download mode to work...so I get ADB and while the phone is connected, powered up, and recognized by Odin, I put it in download mode using "adb reboot download". The command put the phone into download mode but then Odin lost contact the the bubble appeared again saying it wasn't recognized.

I've completely removed all the samsung drivers, shut down computer, reinstalled all the drivers, shut down the computer, plugged the phone into the computer and watch to see that all drivers were installed correctly and the computer recognizes the phone...

So it all works EXCEPT while in download mode...any ideas?

EDIT: I've tried different USB cords but don't have another computer to try on...

There are separate drivers for download mode vs the drivers for USB mass storage. you need to use the factory USB cable that came with the phone. Have your computer powered on, and have the USB cable plugged into the computer but not the phone. Turn the phone off, take out the battery, wait a few seconds, then hold down the volume buttons, and plug the cable into the phone. You should be in download mode, and the computer SHOULD start installing the drivers automatically.

Upvote 0
Guys totally understand you, but my problems started when I wanted to unroot my phone i didnt succeed as i followed a shi*y video and it broke my phone and when im booting my phone from download mode a little red "❕" its shown, so i gave up with it and carried on but one time I entered CWM or SuperSU (i dont really remember) and pressed totally unroot and all my rooted programs now dont work and SuperSU shows "no Su instaled...this is a problem!", and by the way my phone isnt rognized by Odin in download mode too, so right now i have a rooted phone with a not working root, so could please tell me how to unroot it, or if its NO WAY BACK! how to recover my root, THX

Upvote 0
Sounds very familiar! Same problem here, had a failed rom install, reboot, then lost connection with Odin. Will not see device in download mode. Looks like the device disables the usb port in download mode. Lots of folks with samsung tab 10.1 units with the same problem. Sure would like to find a cure. Any help would be appreciated.

Upvote 0
Hmmm, looks like no one has answer. Anyone that could figure it out would be the hero of many tab 10.1 owners. Ther must be a way to fix this with adb. Most all units are recognized in adb and can download files, but they don't seem to be able to execute them. maybe some one could elaborate on executing:thinking: roms in adb for us noon's ???

Upvote 0
I rant into similar issue recently. My PC and Odin were not able to recognize Samsung S5. so, I put Samsung Kies on my PC and reinstalled drivers via Samsung Kies (Tools -> Reinstall Device Driver). Somewhere in the middle of the drivers reinstallation process PC was able to update the drivers correctly. During the process my Samsung S5 was in download mode and connected to PC via the manufacturer cable that came with the device.

Upvote 0
Hey guys try downloading the samsung type of USB driver for your computer OS then install it and repeat the process of Odin. Odin will the recognize your phone and you can start installing the firmware.
I just tried it and it work just fine. Hope it help....

Ps: when downloading the USB driver find a reliable site so that you don't accidentally get infiltrated by virus...
Selamat Mencoba (Enjoy Trying It)

Reactions: firebirdude
Upvote 0
Hey guys try downloading the samsung type of USB driver for your computer OS then install it and repeat the process of Odin. Odin will the recognize your phone and you can start installing the firmware.
I just tried it and it work just fine. Hope it help....

Ps: when downloading the USB driver find a reliable site so that you don't accidentally get infiltrated by virus...
Selamat Mencoba (Enjoy Trying It)
I know this topic is old, but this is the type of topic people desperate for help find via google. Odin wouldn't recognize my phone when in download mode. Going to Samsung's website and looking in the support section for whatever phone you have should bring you to the drivers you need. I installed them and Odin works like a champ now.

Upvote 0
There are separate drivers for download mode vs the drivers for USB mass storage. you need to use the factory USB cable that came with the phone. Have your computer powered on, and have the USB cable plugged into the computer but not the phone. Turn the phone off, take out the battery, wait a few seconds, then hold down the volume buttons, and plug the cable into the phone. You should be in download mode, and the computer SHOULD start installing the drivers automatically.
I have the same problem here but if I don't have the factory USB cable anymore?

Upvote 0
Similar problem here with Samsung Galaxy Fit S5670... I think it's totally the driver causing this. Try updating all drivers on your OS which have something to do with your device, like the USB port driver.

BIG EDIT: I managed to install another recovery without using Programs:

While your android is working, transfer the zip with the recovery to your phone and then boot the already installed recovery. After you've got into the recovery menu, choose the zip with the new recovery and then install it (it sounds strange cause you install recovery which replaces the processing one) and then restart. It worked for me!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones