1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Concern about apps forcing us to grant adm permissions

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by buba1, Dec 30, 2012.

1. buba1

buba1 Lurker

I am trully concerned as I've seen all free apps I have installed come with pre-set adm ermissions, where some can change my device storage, use my contacts info to send out!. I claim full control over my device, please hel me to find a way to block as desire any app permission myself, and all should be concern on this issue.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. KENNECTED

KENNECTED Android Expert

What app?
    What device?
    You downloaded the app from where?

3. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Extreme Android User

4. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Can you give us some examples? Sometimes there are legit reasons, e.g. an app that's going to mute during a call needs to recognise the call state, and if it's going to save data to SD it needs permission to do it. Free apps are usually ad-supported, so need permissions for that (e.g. internet access). But give us some examples and I'm sure someone will have a look.

Generally if I don't think that a permission is not needed I don't install the app, rather than seek to block a permission.

You might find this thread helpful: http://androidforums.com/android-ap...emover-app-google-play-non-rooted-phones.html. Note that the particular apps that it was originally discussing were removed from the Play Store, so may well have been malicious themselves.

In that thread ALP refers to one developer whose permission blocker he would trust, so I believe that the app he refers to is https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stericson.permissions.donate. This app requires root, and as noted in the thread, blocking permissions will often crash an app. I have never used one of these things myself, so cannot really say more.

5. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Extreme Android User

if you're getting it from a reputable source such as Google Play there is nothing to worry about. in the case of apps that seem to require internet access but don't actually use internet data to work (games such as Angry Birds, Cut the Rope, etc) just turn off data and wifi and they will usually load fine.