1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Concerned with Android security and Skype

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by cherrysecret, May 8, 2011.

1. cherrysecret

cherrysecret Lurker
    None

May 8, 2011
    I realize that there are already relevant threads started about Android security... I read some of them.
    I currently own an iphone 4 but have a few days left to maybe exchange it for an At&t Android like the Atrix. I have been researching the pros and cons and was pretty sure I'd be exchanging the devices this Monday. However I read this article and also read the two comments (very discouraging!). Ugh I was so happy at the thought of getting away from iPhone. Is it viable to go ahead and keep it, considering the issues addressed in that article (and on some threads here), and come back to Android in a year or so, when things change for the better?

Advertisement

2. sonofaresiii

sonofaresiii Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 9, 2011
    NYC
    is this... i'm sorry, but is this serious?

edit: I'm not convinced you ARE serious, but in case anyone ELSE happens to stumble on here:

http://thedroidguy.com/2011/04/android-security-flaw-fixed-in-skype/

skype fixed the "security issue," which honestly to me doesn't sound like that much of a security issue anyway-- but if it did to you, well, it's fixed now.
    As for the comments you mention, there will always be fanboys who decry tech they don't use as terrible. Android is far from terrible. I believe it's fantastic, feel free to browse around the forums here to learn a little about the benefits, and if you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

No, I don't believe there are any security issues with Android-- Skype's isolated incident aside-- and there are plenty of ways to protect yourself just in case you want to be on the safe side.

p.s. note in the article I linked that they said there were NO reports of abuse due to the "security issue," and also, I would take any comments on Android from a site called pcworld with a grain of salt. Just like you should take any comments on Android from a site called AndroidForums with an equally big grain of salt.

KENNECTED likes this.