1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Concerns about Sprint connection optimizer

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Phil42, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Phil42

Phil42 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 19, 2011
    My new Volt has asked for permission to install "Sprint Connection Optimizer". What concerns are there (privacy, security) with this utility?

I don't mind/care very much about the optimization of selecting WiFi vs. 4G and saving my WiFi password (the phone already does that and most of the time my life is binary - at home on WiFi or elsewhere on 3G/4G) but I do like the capability to read-write the SD card.

I see it's easy to disable from the Settings menu. But once installed can I remove it - or is it like bloatware - difficult to get rid of?

Does it affect my ability to root the phone? I'm on V4 and have read through the procedures to downgrade to V3, root, and then install the pre-rooted V4. If I do that will I need to reinstall this Sprint Connection Optimizer, or will it be unnecessary because rooting does everything this utility is supposed to do?

Advertisement

2. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert
    None

Nov 1, 2013
    Male
    IT Contractor
    It is a system app so uninstalling it will require root.

Aside from automatically keeping you on the best available connection, it also saves authentication credentials for public Wi-Fi hotspots (like at a restaurant or store) so you don't have to reauthenticate every time you get on that network.

This has nothing to do with root and has no impact on being able to root.

It has nothing to do with saving private network passwords so there's no security or privacy issues.

It's already on your phone, btw... What you are getting is an update.

Phil42 likes this.
Tags: