• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Configure wifi problem

In the configure wifi section of my asus zenpad 8.0 tablet, there are 2 options. Keep wifi on during sleep (yes) (no) i set as no because battery drains fast. But an app is probaley the culprit as the setting reverts back to default (on) am not pleased and fear ill need to reset the whole thing. Im guessing my options are limited.

I have alot of apps! Over 4 dozen.

If you're having an issue with the battery being drained more rapidly than usual, it 'could' be tied to leaving WiFi connectivity enabled all the time but that's typically not a big power draw. Unless the WiFi signal being emitted from the router of your home network is low in quality (weak signal strength or low bandwidth), it should not be a significant factor -- your phone has to 'work' harder to maintain a proper connection there's a weak signal, not as much when it's OK. In the little WiFi icon in the top menu bar, does it show a relatively strong or weak signal?

Odds are that there is some app or apps that are actual source of your problem. Try looking in the Settings >> Battery menu. Does any app show up as being a big power hog? There is also a 'Running services' option that provides more details on what apps are actively running and using power. You need to enable the Developer options menu to access it:
https://www.howto-connect.com/how-to-view-and-control-running-services-on-android/

Has this battery drain problem been occurring for a long time now or did it just become evident recently?

Upvote 0
how do you know an app is causing the device to reboot? 2 to 3 times is not good. also keep in mind that your device came out in 2015. its pretty old now and thus i'm not surprised you are having issues....especially with battery. batteries are by design setup to last 3-4 years sooooo you are way past that time. you might want to start to consider getting a new device.

but in the mean time i think a factory reset might solve your issues.

Upvote 0
Yep, i have already copied saved bookmarks from browsers, took screenshots of fav apps etc. In case need to reset. But this device is only 3 years oldo_O .. I bought as new online. Odd

Ok, if i reset device...will stuff saved in google drive be intact?

FYI I've got a device here, a Huawei phone, that I'd been using for 3 years. And that's actually now showing notification warnings that the "battery health is deteriorating" and that I should seek Huawei Service to get it replaced, and it does have a noticeably shorter life now. With 3 years of daily use, I do estimate it has been charged/discharged over 1000 times. The life expectancy was probably about what I'd expect from a phone battery.

But I haven't bothered getting the battery replaced, as I retired that phone and now just it as an IR remote control zapper. I bought a new Samsung Note20 Ultra instead.

Upvote 0
Yep, i have already copied saved bookmarks from browsers, took screenshots of fav apps etc. In case need to reset. But this device is only 3 years oldo_O .. I bought as new online. Odd

Ok, if i reset device...will stuff saved in google drive be intact?
does not matter when you bought the phone new. they usually will produce the device and then stop production. its not like they continuously produce it throughout the years. so your device was made in 2015 and sat on a shelf somewhere until you bought it. the battery during that time will slowly discharge even while it is in the box. it may have less wear and tear, but the battery will still only last 3-4 years from production time.

anything in google drive should be saved automatically, unless you have it so that google does not sync regularly.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones