• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Confirmed: Angry Birds for Android

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really get the appeal of angry birds or any of the clones like crush the castle, blowup etc. I tried one of the them once and got bored after destroying two houses!

I'd be much more interested in Plants vs Zombies or something...

Because it's an extremely easy game to pickup, frustrating at times no question, but to the average user it's extremely friendly and fun. Simplicity is what makes a great portable game, especially within the cellphone market. Angry Birds couldn't be any closer.

Look at PopCap's lineup (including PvZ) their whole platform is built on simple, pick-up games.

Upvote 0
I wish they'd update this

PopCap Games - Android
What you fail to realize is that isn't a page created just for android. Pick anything else from the drop down and you'll see that android isn't listed. Someone most likely just tacked on android to the end of that URL because the page is automatically programmed to handle that parameter on the URL. There's just no games... obviously.

They've already announced that they're working on bejeweled blitz for android... which isn't exactly their most popular game... sigh

Upvote 0
Pick anything else from the drop down and you'll see that android isn't listed.

True, but click the drop-down menu when Android is in the URL: PopCap Games - Android

and you'll see the little green mascot:

screenshot20100825at231.png

Whether it be a placeholder, or an easter egg, somebody made an Android icon for the popcap site.

Upvote 0
Isn't it amazing how many companies are really missing the mark on android support?

Most of the games we want etc. are already created for the Iphone and obviously it takes time to port them/etc. successfully but they already have a license to print money, why not make more with us?

The Android platform is outselling Iphone and it's still taking forever for some of these games & companys to open it up for us.

I'm just shocked. P vs Z and Angry Birds will sell tons of copies. It's not even a guess or a risk at this point. They will sell.

If these companies ever get on the ball.

Upvote 0
Isn't it amazing how many companies are really missing the mark on android support?

Most of the games we want etc. are already created for the Iphone and obviously it takes time to port them/etc. successfully but they already have a license to print money, why not make more with us?

The Android platform is outselling Iphone and it's still taking forever for some of these games & companys to open it up for us.

I'm just shocked. P vs Z and Angry Birds will sell tons of copies. It's not even a guess or a risk at this point. They will sell.

If these companies ever get on the ball.

It reminds me a lot of the whole Firefox v IE thing a few years ago. Several times I emailed big companies telling that their website wouldn't work in Firefox (e.g. a huge cinema company here in the UK), only to receive an email thanking me for my interest but basically telling me that they don't support browsers that aren't used. The fact that firefox even then had a share in the double figures shows that the knowledge of current market moves of some of these companies is pants. I suppose it is a bit more understandable for mobile phones, where there are many many more small players, but the market trends are not exactly hidden away.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately I don't think that profitability is guaranteed in android market, there is many problem that developer faces in Android market that isn't in the iPhone market.

1. Piracy, let face it this is a big problem for Android right now, hard to sell premium games for $9+ when people can pirate it.
2. Too many different spec for hardware/system, 4+ screen resolution with 10+ chipsets, 3+ RAM configurations, 6+ hard drive config, 2 keyboard config and 4 active OS. It is a logistical nightmare. (even pc games has less configuration permutations).
3. Market size, iPhone has much bigger audience, and more International markets, not to mention that fact that some carrier like ATT block the Android market.
4. Lack of promotional sites like toucharcade for Android. And also weak search and promotional support in the app market.
5. People trust apple app market more then people trust android market. While everyone dislike the wall garden approach apple is taking, how many times did we ask ourself, why does a game or a simple app need access to my contact info, ability to make calls and network access? But even most android fans would agree that they don't have the same worry (at least not to the same degree) when they buy an itune app.

So lets face it, Google need to step up before android platform can attract more game developers.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately I don't think that profitability is guaranteed in android market, there is many problem that developer faces in Android market that isn't in the iPhone market.

1. Piracy, let face it this is a big problem for Android right now, hard to sell premium games for $9+ when people can pirate it.
2. Too many different spec for hardware/system, 4+ screen resolution with 10+ chipsets, 3+ RAM configurations, 6+ hard drive config, 2 keyboard config and 4 active OS. It is a logistical nightmare. (even pc games has less configuration permutations).
3. Market size, iPhone has much bigger audience, and more International markets, not to mention that fact that some carrier like ATT block the Android market.
4. Lack of promotional sites like toucharcade for Android. And also weak search and promotional support in the app market.
5. People trust apple app market more then people trust android market. While everyone dislike the wall garden approach apple is taking, how many times did we ask ourself, why does a game or a simple app need access to my contact info, ability to make calls and network access? But even most android fans would agree that they don't have the same worry (at least not to the same degree) when they buy an itune app.

So lets face it, Google need to step up before android platform can attract more game developers.

While I agree with pretty much everything that you have said I will say that #5 can be a little misleading. The I have understood it, and I could be wrong, is that these apps are looking at these things for a few reasons. First, they may be a poorly designed app, nothing harmful to your device or information, just not designed correctly. Next, I was once told that an app may look at things like the ability to make calls in case you have an incoming call and while the app may be pushed to the background it will save the current state while it is exited. These are just some of the reasons that I have heard, correct me if I am wrong, please, as to why one will see these things when downloading an app. Otherwise I really think that you hit the nail on the head. Apple just has two main hardware platforms and that's it. There are a lot of different hardware makeups for Android which will make it a little more difficult for app designers. I have to say though, I am not giving my DX up for anything! Android is the way to go!

Upvote 0
While I agree with pretty much everything that you have said I will say that #5 can be a little misleading. The I have understood it, and I could be wrong, is that these apps are looking at these things for a few reasons. First, they may be a poorly designed app, nothing harmful to your device or information, just not designed correctly. Next, I was once told that an app may look at things like the ability to make calls in case you have an incoming call and while the app may be pushed to the background it will save the current state while it is exited. These are just some of the reasons that I have heard, correct me if I am wrong, please, as to why one will see these things when downloading an app. Otherwise I really think that you hit the nail on the head. Apple just has two main hardware platforms and that's it. There are a lot of different hardware makeups for Android which will make it a little more difficult for app designers. I have to say though, I am not giving my DX up for anything! Android is the way to go!

Like you I love my evo. But I also realize it is a uphill battle for google to over take apple in the app market. As it stands, even if iOS and android market share is the same, aplle still have huge advantage due to the simpler platform and more international markets.

As for #5, I am not sure it is misleading, I think it is an issue with how permission work on android. Let say I am a malicious developer, and want to steal your contact info, or have your phone call a pay per minute phone line that I own. If I release a pretty decent free game to the market to disguise the malware, there is no way you can tell the difference between the malware, and a normal game that just want to implement save state correctly during a phone call. I think this is the main problem with app permission in android OS, even a power user like you and me can't easily tell the difference. So I don't think #5 is misleading at all, I think google need to bring out a more fine grain permission model on their next os, or else one day soon, the android os will require the use of AV softwares, just like windows. Unfortunatly, it pains me to say this, but this is a area in which the wall garden approach might be needed.

Reactions: haynesteve
Upvote 0
Like you I love my evo. But I also realize it is a uphill battle for google to over take apple in the app market. As it stands, even if iOS and android market share is the same, aplle still have huge advantage due to the simpler platform and more international markets.

As for #5, I am not sure it is misleading, I think it is an issue with how permission work on android. Let say I am a malicious developer, and want to steal your contact info, or have your phone call a pay per minute phone line that I own. If I release a pretty decent free game to the market to disguise the malware, there is no way you can tell the difference between the malware, and a normal game that just want to implement save state correctly during a phone call. I think this is the main problem with app permission in android OS, even a power user like you and me can't easily tell the difference. So I don't think #5 is misleading at all, I think google need to bring out a more fine grain permission model on their next os, or else one day soon, the android os will require the use of AV softwares, just like windows. Unfortunatly, it pains me to say this, but this is a area in which the wall garden approach might be needed.

I see where you are going now. I agree that this is definitely something that Google should look at. Well said!

Upvote 0
True, but click the drop-down menu when Android is in the URL: PopCap Games - Android

and you'll see the little green mascot:

screenshot20100825at231.png

Whether it be a placeholder, or an easter egg, somebody made an Android icon for the popcap site.

That will be for the arrival of such games as Peggle. A beta release of Peggle Android was included with unbranded Sony-Ericsson X10 Mini phones. A little clunky on the tiny QVGA screen, but it plays well enough.

Upvote 0
Via Appbrain I managed to download a game (Radiant Lite) on my X10 mini pro that was designed for larger screens and it works just fine. Some of the text is scaled a bit odd, but it runs fine. With some tweaks, it would be 100% perfect and I'd happily buy the full version.

Despite a number of different screen sizes (but there's only four that I know of so the differences aren't that major), I don't think it's that hard to make something run on them all. Developers are also saying that Android OS is also very easy to work with.

Upvote 0

1. Agreed. Plus devs don't need to jack up the price on some apps (I'm looking at you, Doodle Jump) versus their price on the iPhone.
2. This is also a problem that needs to be addressed by Google.
3. AT&T doesn't block the Android Market, they merely block installing apps from outside sources.
4. That's a fault of the Market. Google really needs to fix this, I agree.
5. The more people use Android phones, the more they'll trust the Android Market. Don't think that Apple's apps don't access all of those things. They just don't tell you that because you don't "need to know".

Upvote 0
What you fail to realize is that isn't a page created just for android. Pick anything else from the drop down and you'll see that android isn't listed. Someone most likely just tacked on android to the end of that URL because the page is automatically programmed to handle that parameter on the URL. There's just no games... obviously.

They've already announced that they're working on bejeweled blitz for android... which isn't exactly their most popular game... sigh

I was looking at the big banner that said "Android Games", not really the URL parameter.

Upvote 0
Lol. I just now noticed that big banner.

On another note... Rovio is ticking me off. So is popcap. So is netflix.

They have already lost the chance to get my money.
They had a window of opportunity to release these games and now it has closed. It feels like android isnt getting any love from them. I dont know if it has anything to do with apple or not. But they could have had a customer in me that they wont have now. I will wait and when these games come out i will spend the same amount of money on a developers games that actually made android a priority.

Upvote 0
They had a window of opportunity to release these games and now it has closed. It feels like android isnt getting any love from them. I dont know if it has anything to do with apple or not. But they could have had a customer in me that they wont have now. I will wait and when these games come out i will spend the same amount of money on a developers games that actually made android a priority.

From what I have gathered they are putting a lot of effort into their version of Angry Birds for Android. From their Twitter account it looks as though there was a learning curve for them and they are trying to integrate the different screen sizes into the app before releasing it to the Android Market. They have stated that the port of Angry Birds is complete but they are just working out a couple of kinks. I expect it to go live in the next couple of weeks at the most. I would rather they take their time to make sure that it is well polished than rush it out. That could just be me though.

Upvote 0
I agree. I am not the most patient man on earth, no where near it, but at least I understand that Not All Software is Created Equal. Can't remember where I heard that but it stuck with me. I am really looking forward to this game. I think that it is cool that Rovio was able to port the game to WebOS. Palm users need any love they can get. :)

Upvote 0

Seriously? Do you have the slightest idea of how any of this works?

Don't stress Rovio...you guys lost one customer here for ignorance. You still have me and probably at least another 500,000 others :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones