1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Confirmed BOOTLOADER is locked

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by theman17, Feb 14, 2011.

1. theman17

theman17 Lurker
    None

Feb 14, 2011
    So, I know I'm a new member but I only made this account to post this. You dont have to believe it, but I called Motorola Mobility tech support.

I told them that I was a developer and I was interested in the atrix 4g but I had a few questions before I buy one from ATT. I asked them if it was boot loader locked. They put me on hold, 5 minutes later, the person said according to their system administrator, it is indeed locked.

Sorry for those of you who were waiting for March 6th to find out and hoping it wasn't locked.

Advertisement

2. Elite GunnerX

Elite GunnerX Newbie
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    Thank you for trying but this does not count as confimed...Got any proof?

gyromanx55 likes this.
  3. youareme7

youareme7 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 6, 2011
    EE
    I agree that you can't really say "confirmed" when there's no source, but we all knew it was going to be locked, every phone other than nexus series are. The real question is if the boot loader is hardware encrypted, which would really put the brakes on roms. (true roms I mean, with kernel)

I do really hope for more open devices, but manufacturers and carriers don't really care about open, they care about control. All I really hope for these days is "breakable security", and it's just sad.

4. dsjr2006

dsjr2006 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 25, 2009
    Michigan
    I have to say a major reason for these changes has been so many people getting themselves into trouble trying to root and install custom roms when they have no idea what they're doing. This increases return rates and affects the manufacturers bottom line.

5. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery
    None

Jan 20, 2010
    Where the Sakura grows
    Well Motorola just confirmed it:

This was from a post in the Motorola Official Forum

Got to say...even I know this was forthcoming...it still sucks :(

6. mrvirginia

mrvirginia Android Expert
    None

May 13, 2010
    video editor
    Charlotte, NC
    kinda lame but i saw it coming as well. doesn't bother me one bit, though. i've been having trouble with custom kernels on my Evo as of recent so the bootloader being locked means any ROMs that are made for it will have the same kernel all around. and the only reason you'd even need a custom kernel in the first place is to try to improve the performance/battery life. this thing is packing a dual-core Tegra 2 and running on an OS that hasn't been optimized for it while getting rather great battery life ...and it's STILL snappy. so, with that being said, i don't think it needs any improvements on the kernel side.

if it were laggy as all get out and out of the box only got like 6hrs of total talk time, then i'd have a problem with this.

7. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery
    None

Jan 20, 2010
    Where the Sakura grows
    I wonder if the lock bootloader is similar to the Droid X or Droid 2. I'm hoping that it's easier for the dev to break as it's using the Tegra Dual Core processor instead of the TI OMAP processor that has the efuse which locked the DX and D2.