• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Confirming Unrooted S-OFF

remanifest

Android Expert
Jan 13, 2013
Hi everybody,
Just thought I'd let you all know that I just got a new HTC Evo V 4G today on the $99.99 Radioshack sale.

From complete stock, I did a HTCDev unlock, then thought about running the RUU (decided against it when my phone's software was newer than the RUU).

From there I did the usual ADB enabling, disabling of fast boot, and ran ControlBear. 5 minutes later, S-OFF from complete stock, prior to rooting.

I have since rooted and all is well. Now I'm going to flash the AIO fix.

Minus backup/restore time, total time is ~20 minutes to be fully up to date, S-OFF, root, 4ext, JBear 1.50.5050, and the 1.14 OTA.

Wow, that price just keeps on dropping. I'm thinking they are clearing them out which will make future replacement difficult, or all refurb stock. Gotta make way for the LTE and Jellybean invasion.

I've got Black Tie on mine from Best Buy, so if I ever need to use it, they'll probably have to give me the money instead of swapping the phone.

Upvote 0
Yeah, it was a great deal. Kind of irritated the Best Buy Mobile people on the price match, but it was the ONLY phone we could find in the Austin-San Antonio area. We must have contacted 40+ stores before we finally found that one.

I think they're going to stop shipping the phone soon, since it's out of stock pretty much everywhere. I also declined the black tie warranty; figured $30 extra was a bit excessive on a $100 phone, if I put a nice case on it to prevent drops and stuff. Only thing I need to worry about is my son dropping it in a toilet, but I'm not too terribly worried about that one... lol

Upvote 0
That price isn't even a third of what i paid for it. I'm never buying a phone so early ever again. :banghead:

Assuming you came from a contract plan, you're probably saving $50/mo...so as long as you save more than the phone depreciates, you're still doing good.

I bought at $150, but I've also paid for 2 months of VM service which means I am still ahead of the game. Still on track to pay the new phone off by May.

Now switching from one VM phone to another, you may want to plan more to capitalize on a price reduction.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones