1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Confused about Root and OTA on stock with frozen bloat

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bioforce, Sep 29, 2011.

1. bioforce

bioforce Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 29, 2011
    Sorry for the noobish post, but I have been reading a bunch of threads and am still confused about this.

I have a new DInc2 coming tomorrow from amazon, and it will be my first smart phone. I am planning to root just to freeze the bloatware with TI and to install things like droidwall, I don't care about custom roms (as of yet, anyways).

I was under the impression that if you froze the bloatware, you could unfreeze it, do an ota, and then refreeze it after rerooting if need be. But I have now read quite a few threads on how you shouldn't ota after root and people having there phones stuck trying to update and not being able to get them to work afterwards.

So, on stock root, which is it? If the answer is "don't update", I see that you can freeze the updater with TI, but is there ever really a reason you *need* to update for the phone to continue to work?

Thanks for everybodies time .

Advertisement

2. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Android Expert
    None

There isn't any reason to root if you aren't going install a custom ROM. The bloatware is harmless on a phone that has as much memory as the Incredible 2.

3. bioforce

None

Sep 29, 2011
    Besides freezing the bloat, I am interested in things like droidwall and set permissions to have more control over the apps. Unless there is a non-root method to do do what those do.

EDIT: And an adblocker, even though I understand host file blocking has its limits.

4. bberryhill0

None

I've never heard of Droidwall or set permissions and I'm on my third Android phone in two years.

5. AndyBones

AndyBones Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 5, 2011
    unfortunately verizon came gave us an update that screws us outta root AGAIN, so the XTC clip is the only option. Google "XTC clip" for more info on that, it's a hardware root and costs money..

6. Lagos

Lagos Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 12, 2010

The days of freezing bloatware are over. That was the method people used when only temp root was possible. These days the best thing to do is to install a "stock" rom that has been debloated (all the bloat apps deleted).

When verizon decides to push out an update to us, it will almost always be posed on xdaforums. All you do is wait for your favorite rom developer to apply that update to their rom and you are good to go. The "dont update" advice you are hearing comes from the fact that once you root, the official OTA updates will fail to install because you no longer have a stock recovery installed on the phone. But this is really not a big deal.

Honestly don't worry about software updates or flashing roms. There are roms out there that still keep your phone as stock as possible if you want that and like i said, there is a way to update them. But after you have your phone for a while, you will totally want to flashing roms like MIUI or Sense 3.5 to find the best rom for you.

bberryhill0 and bioforce like this.
  7. bioforce

None

Sep 29, 2011
    This explains it a lot better, much appreciated:) I guess my next ? would then be assuming my phone still has 2.3.3 on it, what would be the best way to root while preventing the forced 2.3.4 update? Meaning should I activate, get apps on phone like TI backup, then turn off wifi/3g, root, update disable by rename/freeze or should I activate then immediately turn off wifi/3fg, root, then somehow install apps from the computer?

8. bberryhill0

None

Just activate the phone and wait for the update notice to appear. You then have thirty seconds to hit the back button and cancel the update.