1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root confused about rooting vs roms

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by chatfouz, Mar 25, 2011.

1. chatfouz

chatfouz Lurker
    None

Feb 28, 2011
    I am slightly confused in the guide.
    I want to achieve a phone that has root access so I can get better battery life and lose the OEM bloat.

I get rooting means giving me access. However am I required to flash a new rom? If so how do I choose one? I have read over the instructions and I am clear up to the point of rooting. But after that I am unsure what to do or what needs to be done.

Advertisement

2. nklenchik

nklenchik Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 23, 2010
    Student
    Yew Nork
    You're right, rooting gives you access to do so. You can get rid of bloat apps yourself with root explorer, but developers who design roms go a little further than that, which is why most of us prefer something other than stock.

Everytime a newer software update is ready for our phones OTA (over the air) or unreleased we usually get new roms that includes that in it. Choosing one's the hard part because we have so many options available. If you want to use 2.1, we have older roms that some owners are still on, but most of us have moved on to the leaked 2.2 update. Some 2.1 rom/kernel combinations will still give you the best battery if that's what you're looking for.

You'll also need to push the radio (or modem) through a program called Odin, preferably Odin version 1.3 for whichever rom you're running. Certain actions on the phone might not work properly if you're running a different modem.

Do you know about recovery and how to get into it?

3. chatfouz

chatfouz Lurker
    None

Feb 28, 2011
    No. I don't know about recovery. the phone is new and all the contacts are sync with google. So I'm not worried about losing data.

Questions
    1 If I flash a new rom do i have to root it?
    2 what is the most popular rom for the samsung fascinate? (I assume hte most popular is a safe choice)
    3 is there a full guide that on one place has everything from rooting to the rom in one full guide? I can follow directions, but I am not comfortable with figuring out halfway through what I should do next

4. nklenchik

None

Sep 23, 2010
    Student
    Yew Nork
    I'll find you some links, but don't rush it. You'll find those who rush these things won't know how to fix their phone god forbid something happens :p

Okay, everything you need to know is right here:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=948722

Make sure you learn what clockwork and odin are my dude haha

5. chatfouz

chatfouz Lurker
    None

Feb 28, 2011
    oh no I can wait. It took 4 weeks on ebay to get the phone. I am used to waiting. Thank you so much!!

6. nklenchik

None

Sep 23, 2010
    Student
    Yew Nork
    No problem :) let us know if you need any help

7. Piiman

Piiman Android Expert
    None

May 28, 2010
    1. You have to have Root to flash the new ROM and EVERY custom ROM Is already rooted.

2. SuperClean is probably the best since everything works. But there are others like MIUI and jt's AOSP Kaos's CM7 that are quit different but at this point have missing or non working hardware. These ROMS although not complete are very useable if you don't need the one or two things that aren't working so you need to look at what isn't working and decide if you can live without it until source drops for 2.2 (which isn't even out yet only a leak). All the ROM above are based on 2.2 but if you want to stay on 2.1 there are even more ROMS. Once you get rooted and have recovery installed you can do nandroid backups which make it easy to try new ROM's and then return to something else if it turns out you don't like it.

have fun
    3. I believe someone gave you one.:D