• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Confused and need help with ROM's

draconius

Jul 24, 2010
I have a rooted 2.2 that is apparently deodexed...I am completely confused, lost, etc on the process. Bootstrap, recovery, koush, FlyX, Tranquility...too much info to try and find and process.

So...what are my steps? I have LPP and have backed that up, I have backed up Launch-X Pro. How do I save my texts, contacts, other settings? What's a Nandroid backup? Is there a way to backup Handcent settings?

I have Rom Manager (Free) installed, Titanium backup (ran a batch backup on user apps)

Do I need to run a batch backup on system data in TiBu? I have heard there are other things to do to ensure best back up. From there what do I do?

Rom Manager confuses me to be honest. I see all the options, but don't know where to start...once I have a Rom downloaded (FlyX or Tranquility) where do I go from there. D13 told me to do a wipe data and cache as well..when and where do I do that?

Thank you for all your help!!!

Hey I just wanted to say sorry about my lack of help I have been able to provide so far
Are you kidding??? You have been a massive help. I just get overloaded when I try to read to much...I am a hands on kind of guy so I get confused when there is a LOT of info in front of me to sort through.

I've started to read on the Froyos (2.3.xx) and I think that is ruining me and flooding my brain. So much 1337 speak to confuse my low level 1337 vocab hahaha

Upvote 0
So any ideas??? I think mostly my concern is backing up. I found this write up and guessing this is the best way to do it for the FlyX 0.1 FINAL.

1. Once you have all of the above (Root, 2.2 bootstrap from Market) taken care of you are ready to start.
2. Download and install ROM Manager from the Market.
3. If you haven

Upvote 0
If you use TiBk do a complete save of all app and system data. Just in case, but when you restore just restore missing apps and data. (this saves your apps and their settings and restores them including your home screen layouts. Saves lot of time)

And make sure you have the paid version of Tibkup when you do the restore or you'll hate yourself. Trust me on this, buy it if your going to restore with it. If you need to save text sms messages there are apps that will do it and VZW backup assistant may also do it. It also seems like a lot of the security type apps have sms backups in them so look around. I use Wave Secure and it does but that's a paid app. I had several but can't think of them off hand right now, Sorry. I spend more time trying to delete them than save them. LOL Try searching the market for sms backup. If you use GV they are saved automatically on a web site.

Contacts and phone numbers are saved in your Google account (if you made one)

Hey D13 is there an easy way to delete all the text messages and conversations in GV? The way it seems now is you can only delete 10 at a time (one page even though you select all) but then they just go to the trash and you have to go do it all over again. because even in the trash they show up just like they were never deleted What a pain. Unless I'm missing something its about the slowest stupidest unfriendly delete system Ive ever used. What you say?

Upvote 0
If you use TiBk do a complete save of all app and system data. Just in case, but when you restore just restore missing apps and data. (this saves your apps and their settings and restores them including your home screen layouts. Saves lot of time)

And make sure you have the paid version of Tibkup when you do the restore or you'll hate yourself. Trust me on this, buy it if your going to restore with it. If you need to save text sms messages there are apps that will do it and VZW backup assistant may also do it. It also seems like a lot of the security type apps have sms backups in them so look around. I use Wave Secure and it does but that's a paid app. I had several but can't think of them off hand right now, Sorry. I spend more time trying to delete them than save them. LOL Try searching the market for sms backup. If you use GV they are saved automatically on a web site.

Contacts and phone numbers are saved in your Google account (if you made one)

Hey D13 is there an easy way to delete all the text messages and conversations in GV? The way it seems now is you can only delete 10 at a time (one page even though you select all) but then they just go to the trash and you have to go do it all over again. because even in the trash they show up just like they were never deleted What a pain. Unless I'm missing something its about the slowest stupidest unfriendly delete system Ive ever used. What you say?

you could delete data and cache in manage applications

Upvote 0
Used this to save my texts:
SMS Backup - Android app on AppBrain

Pretty simple app and you can only back up in batches. Took me about 7 times (200 at a time) and it installs an SMS folder in your gmail address of your choosing. Don't think I can flash them back to my phone, but always nice to have them somewhere.

This app backs them up on your phone so you can put them back on after a wipe:
http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore

There was TXTract, but cost $4 and only 500-1000 downloads...not very trustworthy of those :eek:

Upvote 0
Ok...issue...

I downloaded the FlyW rom with Swype...it rebooted and my phone is no different...I chose to wipe all data and cache.

Opened ROM Manager and it said something about recovery failure.

Please help!

Reload ROM manager and the Boot strapper. Then make sure to activate the boot strapper by pressing the top button then try again. I have this happen a lot and this usually clears it up.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones