1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Confused by emulated folder

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Odd Rain, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Odd Rain

Odd Rain Newbie

I copied an mp4 video from a windows PC to nexus 7's Movies folder. I can then play it with MX player.

The video has some junk at the end, so I downloaded an android app "Mp4 cutter" to cut off the junk. It then saved the resulting file to
    /storage/emulated/0/mp4cutter/ folder. I want to make a copy of the cut mp4 file on the PC but I could not find that folder when I connect the tablet to the PC and used windows explorer to look at the tablet.

I changed mp4cutter's save folder to /storage/emulated/0/Movies and re-save the file in mp4cutter. Now using MX player I can see the new file in the same folder as the original mp4 file, but I still cannot find it in the Movies folder using the PC.

At first I thought the /storage/emulated/0/Movies folder is just an alias for the Nexus 7/Internal storage/Movies folder I see in windows explorer. But apparently they are sometimes the same sometimes not.

How can I copy the cut video file to the PC and how can I delete the extra file that was saved in /storage/emulated/0/mp4cutter? I don't want to root my tablet just for this.

This issue obviously applies not just to mp4cutter but many other apps as well. So I really want to understand this weird file system.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. DeadDude

DeadDude Android Enthusiast

I'm late, but in my defense I didn't own one until recently.

Some software is unable to 'see' the one location, so there's a symbolic link to the other location.

not much of an explanation, especially since my torrent app uses wichever one it feels like on a file by file basis.

(The explanation is the question)

In windows explorer, you'll see the storage folder listed twice. Check em both.

Nexus 7 (2013) Forum

The Nexus 7 (2013) release date was July 2013. Features and Specs include a 7.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Pro processor, and 3950mAh battery.

July 2013
Release Date
Reviews