• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Confused, giving up limited for edge vs. more everything?

boatman

Android Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2009
Sorry to rehash what i have found so far, but don't see an answer yet and was hoping for more perspectives

I have plan with unlimited, 3 smartphones, 2 regular phones. We currently use about 5- 8 gb a month. 2k min, unlimited text, $300 a month

The issue is, I need to keep getting used phones on CL. S4 currently running about 300, maxx hd about 200.

Was thinking that I can get BOGO s5, move to 8 or 10gb a month.

IM wireless store guy is pushing edge with this, unlimited talk. However, idk about it, i am very confused about diff between edge and more everything. Also, the only reason we need to upgrade is when a phone breaks, we are keeping phones between 18 to 24 months on average. I figure just getting a new droid or S4 will cost me 500, divide by 20 months, so staying on unlimited is costing me $25 a month in phones. Also, one of the regular phones on the plan wants a smartphone, the only way to add that is to pay through the nose for data plan just for that phone.

I hate giving up unlimited just on principle, but it seems that I might be cutting of my nose to spite my face?

Suggestions? Thanks!

If you move to Edge, you'll get a $25/line discount if you go to at least a 10GB plan. That discount covers the cost of any non-Apple phone. So you'd pay $100 for the data with unlimited talk and text, and $15 ($40 less the $25 discount) per line plus the cost of the phone. Smartphones range in monthly cost from about $15-25. Also with Edge, you can trade in your phone for a new one every year (or after 30 days if you pay the phone down halfway, which works out to be a years worth of payments).

Reactions: DaSmokinLoon
Upvote 0
The BOGO won't qualify for Edge. That would be a regular 2 year contract with ME, you wouldn't get the Edge savings on the plan itself (add the phone payment back on and it's about the same price per month really).

Since (I'm assuming) you are no longer under contract, you can get the same pricing the Edge plan offers...$40 - $25 = $15 per line + $100/10 GBs data. I just went from unlimited on 3 lines and 2 GBs on 1 line because of this new offer, I'll save about $80 a month. Of course, I had to buy my phones outright (I use swappa.com).

Now, here's another option...Verizon has a financing plan. It's only for 12 months and won't allow you to get more than 2 new phones but you could stay off contract and get the reduced pricing. They've got really good bean counters so no matter what you do you pay about the same if you get a new phone through them.

If I was you (and I sort of am/was), I'd get the new offer of Edge pricing without using Edge and just get new (gently used) phones through somewhere else (CL, Swappa etc.). In the end though, no matter how you do it, you are going to end up paying about the same per month once you figure in the price of phones. Personally, I like the idea of a lower monthly bill even though there may be a higher up front amount.

Reactions: boatman
Upvote 0
I am in a very complicated situation according to seemingly knowledgeable rep I just got off the phone with.

I wouldn't really go on edge as I have phones already paid for and am not on contract.

I can upgrade 1 line now, 1 line in june , 1 in july, and 2 in sept.

Data cost is 100 for the 10GB, and 3 smartphones are 45, i can get 25 off my line, the other 2 that are upgrade eligible in 2 months get $15 off now, and then become $25 off, the 2 dumb phones are $30 per month less $10 discount.

So the current BOGO doesn't work for me as only 1 line is upgradeable!

Question: Will they continue the $25 line discount past 4/30. (I have to believe so), else the numbers don't work out, without this discount I actually pay MORE to be on 10G than my unlimited.

2. Will they have a bogo on something in June/July when I have 2 phones eligible.

3. CAn I add a line, then get the bogo, change over a regular phone to smartphone, and then drop the regular line?

Upvote 0
There is usually mostly always a BOGO or pretty decent subsidized pricing going on, just depends on what phone and if you like it.

I am not at all sure about #3, not sure what they are or aren't allowing anymore.

I'd like to think they will continue the off-contract Edge pricing plan, they opened it up to more people to stay competitive with AT&T. It is listed as a limited time offering though, so who knows. For families it's a good deal, I was finally able to just pay less for less. Before it would have been more for less, just like it would be for you now.

There's no right or wrong, if you are staying with Verizon (only option for my needs) then you just have to sit back and do the math and weigh each option carefully. There is no crystal ball to peer in to. You'll just have to decide if you want to stay on a contract, what plan is best for you and how you want to pay for the phones. Yeah, that's a non-answer but...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones