• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Confused how to root my phone

Paddy Landau

Apr 1, 2013
United Kingdom
I have an old model (ZTE KIS), which has a tiny internal memory.

I want to root the phone so that I can uninstall the bloatware and move a couple of the apps to the SD card (starting, of course, with a Nandroid Backup). This will allow me to install apps, such as antivirus, which don't fit at the moment.

I've spent ages Googling, but I just cannot figure out how to root. I find either a bunch of spammy advertising sites or instructions that are badly written and so I cannot understand them.

Is there a simple-to-follow method (for dummies like me)? I am guessing that there are instructions on this forum, but I have been unable to find any.

I know Linux well, though not Android specifically; I've learned how to boot my phone into Recovery Mode; and I've successfully used the ADT bundle (to move downloaded apps to the SD card).

But I don't know how to root the phone! Please help me to find some instructions.

Yeah, without any method to restore the phone in case of accidental massive system failure, I would be very wary as well. With the Motorola A855 (OG Droid) we had the original factory .sbf file before we had a custom recovery, so even then we had something to fall back on if we screwed something up after rooting.

good luck

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones