• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Confusion, gingerbread root

jasondhsd

Apr 28, 2010
Currently running ota froyo, z4root, super user, and bloat freezer. Haven't actually removed anything. I actually enjoy the blur UI and most the blur apps but would like to stay rooted to freeze skype, cityid, blockbuster, madden, nfs, etc. I know allowing ota GB I'll lose root but I'm confused on how to actually root GB. I keep seeing people mention doing an SBF and using the droid 2 bootloader. Ok I found a thread about using RSD_Lite to SBF and links to rooted .596 so that solved that mystery, but where does the droid 2 boot loader come into play? Also, does rooting GB wipe the phone and configuration? If so someone said to use titanium backup or clockwork? To backup and then restore once GB is running....but then someone else said if the backup was created in Froyo it won't restore or will screw things up if I did. HELP! What's the proper procedure to update to rooted .596 but not lose configuration or data? If there is a way... HELP. THANKS!

I used the zips from P3droid last night on my brothers phone. The droid 2 confusion is actually using BOOTSTRAPPER, A clockwork mod recovery app. You can buy it from the market or find the apk online. I believe gingerbreak can be used to root the OTA if you take that path but I did 2 of these last night and just used the files from mydroidworld and maintained root on both phones.

The SBF thing is to basically go back to stock .340 and then flash on the .596 zips from Team Black Hat.

Upvote 0
Scrillex is right, Droid 2 Bootstrap is used to correctly flash any Gingerbread builds. It has nothing to do with the Droid 2 Bootloader. The Dev for the Bootstrap just hasn't rewritten the code for the DX Bootstrapper for Gingerbread.

Titanium backup with restore your data/apps across all platforms (Froyo/Gingerbread). Where the confusion comes in is when people try to restore a nandroid of Froyo on Gingerbread which will result in a bootloop. I just backed up my user apps/data on Tibu(Titanium Backup) and then flashed a gingerbread build, wiped data/cache and then restored using Tibu after my market apps restored.

Sounds like you are on a good road to knowing what you are doing. You did the right thing by asking before you messed up something. If you have any other questions please just ask away.

Upvote 0
Jason when you see someone use the words "CWR" or "clockwork" they are referring to using droid 2 bootstrap. To use bootstrap you click on "bootstrap recovery" then click on "reboot recovery". When you do this it will restart your phone and put you into Clockwork Recovery.

Then you have Stock Recovery. This is the recovery console built into your phone. To get into this one you will hold your home and power keys down at the same time. once you see the little triangle with the droid guy release the buttons and then press both your up and down volume keys at the same time.

And easy way to tell the difference between the two is the CWR menu is green and the stock recovery menu is blue.

Reactions: Mikeyz
Upvote 0
Deal_With_It_fullsize.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones