• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Connect automatically to WiFi

JBentleyR

Android Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2014
Cheshire
Nexus 5
Since upgrading to 6.0.1 my phone does not connect automatically to my home WiFi. When I was on 4.4.4 it would connect straight away when I turned on WiFi using Power Toggles on my home screen. Now I have to open Settings, go to WiFi, select my home WiFi router and click to connect; a much longer procedure.

Is it possible to set the phone to connect automatically? I have looked for such a setting and cannot find anything. Incidentally, my wife's Samsung phone connects straight away without all this argy bargy.

That's odd. My Nexus 5 connects automatically on 6.0.1 and does it quicker than when it was on 4.4.4.

It's a good idea to factory reset after an OS update, so that you know you're running the new OS with a clean slate. If you don't fancy doing that, you can try just clearing your cache via the recovery menu and see if this helps (this is non-destructive, unlike a factory reset, but not as comprehensive as a factory reset). A cache wipe is always worth doing after an OS update, particularly going to 6.0.1 from 4.4.4 on the Nexus 5, as it goes through Lollipop as well, so that's a lot of changes to the device.

Upvote 0
That's odd. My Nexus 5 connects automatically on 6.0.1 and does it quicker than when it was on 4.4.4.

It's a good idea to factory reset after an OS update, so that you know you're running the new OS with a clean slate. If you don't fancy doing that, you can try just clearing your cache via the recovery menu and see if this helps (this is non-destructive, unlike a factory reset, but not as comprehensive as a factory reset). A cache wipe is always worth doing after an OS update, particularly going to 6.0.1 from 4.4.4 on the Nexus 5, as it goes through Lollipop as well, so that's a lot of changes to the device.
Thanks for that advice.
I think I'd prefer the 'cache wipe' as I don't want to re-install everything with a factory reset.
Do you happen to have a link to instructions for a cache wipe, please?

Upvote 0
I have now made use of NAVMII, including GPS.
After having used it yesterday, I ended the navigation and turned off GPS.
This morning, when checking my battery charge, I see that GPS was activated very briefly twice during the night at roughly two-hour intervals. This was with GPS turned off and the phone powered down (on standby).
The only app that uses GPS listed on the battery meter was NAVMII.
Now why is this happening?

Perhaps I should post this on the NAVMII site as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones