1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Connect HTC Desire to Computer

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Cheify, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Cheify

Cheify Lurker
    None

Aug 29, 2016
    Male
    I have an old Desire cell and need to dowload everything to my Computer as I am changing phones. I have HTC Sync manager but my phone cannot connect and the Manager says no phone connected what do I need to do? Can anybody assist?

Advertisement

2. Bg260

Bg260  
    VIP Member

Apr 30, 2016
    Male
    Freelance Entrepreneur
    Lincoln
    Does the phone turn on?

3. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Which model of Desire and which OS version? If it's a really old one you might need a different programme.

That said, you shouldn't need any of that stuff to copy data to a computer. So if the phone isn't being seen at all maybe you just have it stuck in "charge only" mode? You should have a notification visible when connected via USB that will let you change mode, so check/try that. If not you can change it via the "developer options" menu (which on recent Android versions is hidden - you have to tap quickly on the "build number" in the software information in Settings to enable it. No, I'm not joking, Google seem to think this is cute or clever).

belkacem likes this.
  4. Cheify

Cheify Lurker
    None

Aug 29, 2016
    Male
    Thanks Hadron, Cell is in Sync mode note visible, How do I find model OS version?

5. Cheify

Cheify Lurker
    None

Aug 29, 2016
    Male
    Model A8181 Android v 2.2.2 if this helps.

6. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Oh, the original Desire! So can you find a copy of an older app called "HTC Sync"? "HTC Sync Manager" is the current version, but I don't know whether that's compatible with the A8181 (codename "Bravo") - the app that came with that phone was just "HTC Sync".

What data do you need to get off it? Stuff like contacts and messages can be backed-up to the SD card, which can just be removed and put into another phone (or onto a computer if the new phone doesn't have a card slot). You should be able to back up a lot of stuff to Google servers so that they download to the new phone (e.g. when you reinstall apps). You should be able to change the USB mode so that you can copy data without the sync, but that will only let you see stuff on the SD card anyway, so it probably is worth trying the HTC Sync instead (you can always read data from the SD card using a card reader). Without root a backup app like MyBackup (another way of transferring data, backup on one device, restore on another) will be able to back up a lot of stuff but not app data. Unfortunately the non-root backup app that can back up data for many apps, Helium, requires Android 4 because of the way it works, so isn't an option for you.

The other question is, what phone are you replacing it with? Many manufacturers have their own tools for importing data from another phone, e.g. HTC have their own "HTC Transfer Tool" in the Play Store: install that on the old phone (which doesn't have to be a HTC), then you can use that to copy data to a new HTC phone over WiFi. I expect that other manufacturers have something similar.

7. Cheify

Cheify Lurker
    None

Aug 29, 2016
    Male
    Thanks again I will try your suggestions I have received a 2nd hand Birthday present Samsung Galaxy core2. The original owner did not like it.

8. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    There's something called "Samsung Smart Switch" which can be used for transferring data to a Samsung device. I've never used it, and don't know whether it works with the Core 2, but that might be worth looking into.