1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Connect Razr to Tablet. What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by timm9, May 14, 2013.

1. timm9

timm9 Well-Known Member

I have been searching for hours but no luck, or not using the correct search inquiry. I have a Razr Maxx, Razr Maxx compatible HDMI cable, and HDMI adapter that I

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. carracerz14

carracerz14 Android Expert

The hdmi port is output not input.

timm9 likes this.
  3. timm9

timm9 Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for the response! You are correct in that the port is for 'output'. After many hours searching I have discovered that what I'm trying to do is possible except that Motorola has elected to abandoned the application WebTop which allowed you to 'control' the phone from a PC. If anyone has access to WebTop I would be ecstatic...

4. carracerz14

carracerz14 Android Expert

Web top is a separate dock that looks like a laptop. You can't control it from any pc

5. zoxxo

zoxxo Android Enthusiast

timm9 likes this.
  6. timm9

timm9 Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for the response. My understanding is that with the correct App and adapters (which I though was webtop and HDMI) I would be able to connect my Razr to my Surface Pro tablet and would be able to control (i.e. us the keyboard and mouse on the tablet to perform different tasks such as data entry, etc.) the Razr. While I’m far from a tech giant or programmer, based on what research I have done it appears possible. On another site (not sure we can mention other forums) a member there has been able to port the application and adapt it to run on a different version on a Moto phone allowing what I’m describing. Unfortunately, Motorola has recent abandoned the application due to what they describe as a lack of adoption. I am aware of, and have tried the application AirDroid which does allow me to control and manipulate ‘some’ of the applications on the Razr, but not the ‘core’ system based applications such as email, etc.
    As another poster pointed out, I may have the name of the application wrong, but it ‘did’ exist and it did work prior to Motorola abandoning the application. If anyone has the correct application or can educate me on the correct name I would be grateful.

7. zoxxo

zoxxo Android Enthusiast

Webtop is an interface that allows the phone to connect to a laptop dock and act like a laptop or a tablet. I believe it's built into the OS and sadly Motorola has yanked that functionality from the OS.

From what I read in the HDMI article on Wikipedia, it doesn't seem possible. However, Android is such an open platform, it wouldn't surprise me if someone created an app to make it work...

Motorola Droid RAZR Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews