• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Connect to 802.1x wireless network

speedym

Jul 18, 2011
After the 2.3 update I figured I'd try connecting to my employer's secure 802.1x wireless network again (never worked before, and I never tried since I was told it would not work with Android 2.2 by my IT dept.). I get a "connection failed" note though still.

My IT department seems to think that it should work, so they told me to call Verizon. Predictably Verizon said talk to your IT department. From what I've gathered on the net, Android simply doesn't play nice with 802.1x? It seems that people have had success though, so any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

After the 2.3 update I figured I'd try connecting to my employer's secure 802.1x wireless network again (never worked before, and I never tried since I was told it would not work with Android 2.2 by my IT dept.). I get a "connection failed" note though still.

My IT department seems to think that it should work, so they told me to call Verizon. Predictably Verizon said talk to your IT department. From what I've gathered on the net, Android simply doesn't play nice with 802.1x? It seems that people have had success though, so any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Worked fine for me with 2.2 and works fine with 2.3.6. Do you have the network key entered and the security settings established (WEP etc.)
Should work. Mine works everywhere.

Upvote 0
Worked fine for me with 2.2 and works fine with 2.3.6. Do you have the network key entered and the security settings established (WEP etc.)
Should work. Mine works everywhere.

I think so? Just picking up the network and entering the username and password does not work. I am confused as to what the difference is between the "Identity" and "Anonymous Identity" boxes are though, so perhaps the issue lies in there.

I don't use wireless that often, but I have never had an issue with it elsewhere. It works fine on my home network.

Upvote 0
I think so? Just picking up the network and entering the username and password does not work. I am confused as to what the difference is between the "Identity" and "Anonymous Identity" boxes are though, so perhaps the issue lies in there.

I don't use wireless that often, but I have never had an issue with it elsewhere. It works fine on my home network.

Go to wireless and networks then wifi settings. Does it detect the network? If not then click Add Network and get the SSID and security setting from your IT person. You will also need to get the network key. It should not have anything to do with "Identity" and "Anonymous Identity" .

Try that and let us know if that works. If not we'll try something else.

Upvote 0
Go to wireless and networks then wifi settings. Does it detect the network? If not then click Add Network and get the SSID and security setting from your IT person. You will also need to get the network key. It should not have anything to do with "Identity" and "Anonymous Identity" .

Try that and let us know if that works. If not we'll try something else.

It definitely detects and sees the network, and in fact it identifies it as 802.1x (which I'm 99% sure is correct). Perhaps it doesn't correctly auto-detect the rest of the settings? The impression I am getting from IT is that I should be able to merely type my username and password like I do for my computer. The instructions they gave to me to connect didn't have me tinkering with that stuff. Find it hard to believe that I'm the only one with this issue here so hopefully the in-person visit will get it done.

Upvote 0
It definitely detects and sees the network, and in fact it identifies it as 802.1x (which I'm 99% sure is correct). Perhaps it doesn't correctly auto-detect the rest of the settings? The impression I am getting from IT is that I should be able to merely type my username and password like I do for my computer. The instructions they gave to me to connect didn't have me tinkering with that stuff. Find it hard to believe that I'm the only one with this issue here so hopefully the in-person visit will get it done.
When IT says "I should be able to merely type my username and password like I do for my computer" that leads me to believe they think you want to VPN into the server. Although there are apps that will allow you to do that from the DC I have been assuming you could not get a connection to the wireless network at you place of employment. Once you get a connection to the wireless network that's all it is ..... a connection. It only requires you know the SSID(if the DC doesn't see the network which it should), the security setting (WEP, WEP2 etc) and the network key(password to the network).
Have you got to the point where you have connected to the wireless network? Let's make sure of that first. Then we'll move to the next step.

Upvote 0
First, I took it down to IT and a couple people looked at it and checked the settings. They said Androids are spotty with 802.1x and in fact they've given up with their own Androids. Not looking good!

And no, I have not been able to connect to the network. I always get "Disconnected" or "Connection Failed".

From my research it seems that 802.1x encrypted networks are pretty commonplace at colleges (where I work). In my history with them you do not need a network key or VPN to access the internet. You simply type in the username and password you were issued for email, etc. when prompted and/or when you open your browser.

The steps I am supposed to take are:
1. Connect to the network and provide your username and password when prompted.
2. Start the browser, navigate to a non-school site and you will be redirected to a registration page.
3. Provide your username and password to register.
4. Wait 3-5 minutes, perhaps turn wireless on and off, and you're good to go.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones