• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Connect to Ad Hoc network

drewpul

Lurker
Aug 20, 2012
Heres what I want to do. I downloaded an app so that I can use my android as a wifi mouse on my computer. It works perfectly, but I need to have both computers connected to the same wifi network. This is fine for when I'm at home, but I'll be leaving for college, and I have to connect my laptop via Ethernet.

So I was going to try to connect the two devices with a Ad Hoc network that I created on my laptop. However, after research, I found out that Gingerbread cant connect to Ad Hoc Networks.

Does anyone know how to do this? I have a Galaxy Exhibit with Gingerbread, and it is rooted.

Thanks
Drew

Heres what I want to do. I downloaded an app so that I can use my android as a wifi mouse on my computer. It works perfectly, but I need to have both computers connected to the same wifi network. This is fine for when I'm at home, but I'll be leaving for college, and I have to connect my laptop via Ethernet.

So I was going to try to connect the two devices with a Ad Hoc network that I created on my laptop. However, after research, I found out that Gingerbread cant connect to Ad Hoc Networks.

Does anyone know how to do this? I have a Galaxy Exhibit with Gingerbread, and it is rooted.

Thanks
Drew

Hi Drew, TBH I don't think you will be able to solve it, not with a device that can't connect to ad-hoc wifi. Unless you use a wifi router or you use a more recent tablet that does support laptop ad-hoc networking rather than infrastructure mode only.

Might be possible to use bluetooth to accomplish the same thing though? It's just a thought, never tried it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones