• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Connect to ADB

chaimtg

Lurker
Jun 11, 2022
I have an mp3 device running android os on it but there is no option to open developer options. when pressing build number nothing happens. when connecting it to ADB on a computer and typing ADB devices I'm getting a message
List of devices attached
0123456789ABCDEF offline

is there a way to connect this to ADB?

Attachments

• photo_2022-06-11_22-52-35.jpg
    photo_2022-06-11_22-52-35.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 77
  • photo_2022-06-11_22-52-41.jpg
    photo_2022-06-11_22-52-41.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 61
  • photo_2022-06-11_22-52-45.jpg
    photo_2022-06-11_22-52-45.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 65
Reactions: Dannydet and mikedt
Upvote 0
is there such a thing that there is no option to open developer options on an android device

Yes, that can be done. A manufacturer can chose to disable, or remove the developer options in their various builds of Android for their devices. And they can securely lock Android down completely, so it only does what they intended, and nothing else. Which is probably what they've done with this media player device.

Android is open source, so it can be built and customised in anyway one likes.

Upvote 0
I've seen Android been used as the embedded OS on quite a few different devices, like treadmills in a gym, in-flight entertainment on Boeing 787s, information kiosks on trains, electronic whiteboards in classrooms, payphones, etc. Of course on applications like these, they don't want punters messing things up, by finding things like developer options on them.

Reactions: Hadron and Dannydet
Upvote 0
So there is no way to flash a regular version of android on this device? Is it locked for good? There is nothing to go around this?

One thing, there's no such thing as a regular version of Android, as Android must be built to suit a device's exact hardware setup and configuration.

Your device seems have a very restricted and locked build of Android on it, that can only do what it came with. There are other Android media players, like Sony Walkmans, that are more similar to smart-phones, but without the phone part, that can install and remove apps no problems. I think the device you've got there, has more in common with those Jpay prison tablets, i.e. it's a very customised(lobotomised) version of Android on it, that has no way in or go around....
jp.jpg

You get what you see, and that's it.

Android is distributed as the AOSP(Android Open Source Project). The hardware manufacturers take the AOSP code to build and customise it for their devices and requirements, whether they be phones, tablets, media players, smart-TVs, electronic whiteboards, in-flight entertainments, kiosks, etc. etc. There's custom ROMs, but devs can only build those for the devices they have and know about, usually popular phones, like Samsung Galaxy or Google Pixel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones