1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Connect USB (slave) device to android phone

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by bkuhnley, Apr 30, 2011.

1. bkuhnley

bkuhnley Lurker
    None

Apr 30, 2011
    I'm looking for an appl;ication that would allow me to connect another device such as USB memory stick to my phone and to access this data, transfer files, etc.
    Initially I'd like to be able to upload pictures directly from my camera to the phone and view or email them from there.
    Ultimately I'd like to be able to upload small recorded video files from an external recording device thru USB onto the phone and display the video.

Normally aren't phones a slave device to a PC (i.e. not the USB master)? Can the hardware on the phone perform the master operations instead of a PC? Is this 'just a matter of a little software'?

Advertisement

2. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande?
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Android App Developer
    NY
    Almost no Android phones support USB host mode sadly :(

There are maybe a couple of Android tablets that I think support host mode but I'm not 100% sure on that.

3. sitlet

None

Apr 11, 2010
    Yes, there is no app that will do this, Android just doesnt have host support built in. I believe the Xoom tablet has this feature, but even with that, you cant plug in everything to it, only a few things work.

4. JohnZh

JohnZh Lurker
    None

I think this app called MobileGo may meet part of your demands. It's a freeware that allows you to transfer certain files from PC to your android phone (more specificly like itunes for Android). Pretty easy-to-use, I am using it mostly to manage my personal contacts and sms.