• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Connect via WIFI problems

AND exactly like mine also.
Wifi icon looks great - ip address assigned, but no real connection.
I've tried everything and now i'm down to waiting for an update...
When every other device works fine, how come htc/android cannot?!

Have you tried reflashing your wireless AP with something like Tomato? If your model is supported, then it's proably that you can try it out, and see, and then revert to your current OS if you prefer.

what model of wireless AP/router do you have?

Upvote 0
OK. I've come to an interesting result. I't turn out that my internet actually do work. I'm able to use the different applications which requieres internet access. This means that I can use the weather updates and I can use the Opera Mini to browse the internet. It is the preinstalled browser which wont allow me to surf. So I guess I still have issues with the phone as I don't know how to fix the browser which was installed when i recieved the phone.
Have any one else experienced the same?
At this point I'm using the Opera Mini when I need the WWW.
So if you have problems using the internet even though your are connected via Wifi try to download Opera. "Market" also works on my phone on the Wificonnection. It is "only" the preinstalled browser that don't works.

Upvote 0
OK. I've come to an interesting result. I't turn out that my internet actually do work. I'm able to use the different applications which requieres internet access. This means that I can use the weather updates and I can use the Opera Mini to browse the internet. It is the preinstalled browser which wont allow me to surf. So I guess I still have issues with the phone as I don't know how to fix the browser which was installed when i recieved the phone.
So if you have problems using the internet even though your are connected via Wifi try to download Opera. "Market" also works on my phone on the Wificonnection. It is "only" the preinstalled browser that don't works.

edit: odd thing is on the factory browser is can connect to google.com search a topic and come up with searches but as soon as i try to click the link to those searches i get cant connect

Iam having the same issues with wifi. I also used the Opera and can now access internet by wifi at home. Sucks though cause no multi touch pinch zooming in opera. Also my youtube still wont work. It searchs and everything but wont play vids via wifi and they look horrible on 2g :( You have those issues also

Upvote 0
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with this issue.

I can connect to my AP and I get an IP but no joy after that. It says the connection i "good" or "Excelent". I have tried many settings on my AP including mode b or g only, static IP, no ecryption or mac-filtering. Noting works. I have a Zyxel Router P-2602HW-D1A (exactly the same as michael_sch - Is your ISP = Fullrate?).

I don't think I can upgrade the firmware because the router is rented. Maybe I can talk to my ISP about upgrading the firmware. Maybe they can do it remotely.

Before I stumbled on this thread I created a thread here:
WiFi: Conected but VERY slow - xda-developers

"phel21" suggests that the kernel used on the hero (2.6.27) might not be as good as more recent versions. I hope we get a fix for this soon.

Upvote 0
Yesterday I wrote to HTC with my WiFi issue. I can connect, get an IP, but VERY little or no data is coming through. I have a Zyxel router.

Well I wrote to HTC and got a support ticket. Today I got and answer but it wasn't a reply to my question.. and it wasn't for me but a guy named John. Something is not right in their support ticket system :D

Today I tried connection with another router/AP and it worked without problems. So I guess I can confirm that there is an issue with HTC Hero and Zyxel routers

Upvote 0
i just got my hero today unlocked white version, spent sometime setting it up, the wifi didnt even see my router but saw everyone elses in the street! i have WPA/PSK(no Server) even on a manual entry it never connected

I have a belkin N Wireless router model F5D8321-4 my isop is virgin media cable

I now have it connected by changing the security to WEP128 bit but i would like to get it back on the better security.

I may ask HTC for there advice

Upvote 0

Same thing happens on mine. The connection, through Opera, seems slow and very unstable but at least there is one :)
I hope HTC does something soon. Let's remember that all other devices connects perfectly.

Upvote 0
Hi

I've just sent this message to HTC. I recommend you all to complain to HTC about this issue. Clearly sending a faulty phone on the market is unacceptable, and we must unite and require an immediate fix/solution or action from HTC.

---

(Reply to thread above: Yes I'm a Fullrate customer and I can't reflash my router for the same reason.)

---

My letter to HTC customer support:

Hi HTC,

I'm writing to you about serious wifi problems with the HTC Hero and certain Wifi routers (just about the majority of all retail Wifi AP/routers out there...).

You really really _really_ need to address this issue soon.

Take a look here for example:
http://androidforums.com/htc-hero/7475-connect-via-wifi-problem.html

Numerous users complain about IDENTICAL wifi problems on the Hero through various access points. IP gets assigned, a good strong wifi signal is displayed on the phone and then nothing. No data gets through.

I've tried connecting with success through a cisco router/AP at work. No problems.

But D-Link, ZyXEL and Belkin fails (need I say how common these are in the retail and ISP market??!). I get an IP address, I can see the phone in the routers DHCP client table but zero traffic comes through to eg. the browser on the phone.

I'd expect you to test your new flag ship product against common wifi
access point hardware - and I'm therefore quite dissapointed to find this error to be of this magnitude.

Please advice as to how to fix this error on the phone, and if not possible at the moment, what your plans, timeline and immediate actions are for fixing it now.

Best regards,
Michael
Denmark

Upvote 0
As someone who's old enough to remember the pain of trying to get early 14.4k modems to talk to each other, then suffered all over again first with the introduction of 28.8k modems, then 56k, and finally with 802.11 wireless networking, I have to say that my finger is pointing at the router manufacturers. The fact that a connection is made effortlessly with a Cisco box doesn't surprise me; enterprise-grade kit stands or falls on its compatibility. Consumer kit, otoh, sells mostly on stand-out features. Time and time again too many manufacturers have rushed out "draft-x" specs in a bid to beat their rivals, only to find later that a minor change during ratification has broken something vital.

Sorry for the minor rant, but this is a pet hate of mine. Standards are there for a reason!

Al (who still has a text file of common modem init strings filed away just in case)

Upvote 0
I'm having the exact same issue! I contacted HTC Support in Denmark, and they got back to me suggesting that it might be some DNS related problem. They asked me to try going to 74.125.45.100 in the Hero browser - it's the ip address for Google.

It worked!

Then I got all exited, and continued following their instructions. They asked me to go into Advanced Wifi settings (press Menu when on the Wifi settings screen) and scroll down to Static IP and set the two DNS servers to the OpenDNS ones (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220).

So I did that... and still no luck! I can't browse to regular domains, but IPs seem to work... WTF?

So it appears to be some kind of DNS issue, but a very weird one! :(

BTW My router is a D-Link DI-524

Upvote 0
they didn't get back to me, sadly, when I did the same.

your peculiar issues could be a symptom of massive, but not total packet loss. If you have something like the UNIX ping program, on your PCs, see if you can get reliable ICMP ping response from the Hero, when it's apparently connected.

keep on posting the relevant info; it helps others who run into this problem in the future, to know they're not alone. sadly, again, I fear it isn't going to help either of us much :)

Upvote 0
I have had my Hero since a couple of weeks and one of its best features is its PERFECT wifi connection with my home router (Lynksys) and with any hotspot I happen to come nearby and I am in Denmark too; so I'm afraid that your complains could be hardware related.
I also have another HTC , a touchHD (win mobile 6.1) and it works just as well.
My trouble with the Hero is that I can't make it sync with XP machines (he likes only Vista). I guess the Hero has got some crap for everyone.:(

Upvote 0
I don't think it's a problem related to the phone hardware. The issue only occurs with certain routers (amongst them are apparently D-Link and Zyxel ones). If I use my MacBook Pro to share it's Ethernet connection over Wi-fi and connect my Hero to it, everything works perfectly, proving that the Wi-fi radio is working.

So it must be something failing in the connection between specific routers and the Hero, which I would assume means some kind of software issue on the Hero (or in Android in general?).

And, erectij, I'm not alewas able to connect to Google via the IP. Today I'v had a lot of trouble when I've been trying, whereas it worked nearly all the time yesterday :S

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones