• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Connected to 2 wireless networks?

El Presidente

Beware The Milky Pirate!
Jan 3, 2011
Scotland
My router spits out WiFi on 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz simultaneously. Both have different SSID's, but the same key.

My laptop's wifi adaptor is poop and won't see the 5G network so it's connected to 2.4, my handset the 5GHz network. Because I thought chromecast needed to be on the same wireless network you were casting stuff from, it was setup to connect to the 2.4 band so I could cast from the laptop. If I needed to cast from my phone, I'd switch to the 2.4GHz network and cast from there.

However, chromecast is visible on both networks (see the attachments) and I can cast from both my phone and laptop without doing any messing about. Looking at my routers IP table, it's only connected to the 2.4.

Does that make sense (post and scenario)? What's the deal?

Attachments

• 2013-12-29 07.55.55.png
    2013-12-29 07.55.55.png
    29.2 KB · Views: 98
  • Chromecast.png
    Chromecast.png
    83.1 KB · Views: 117
It makes perfect sense.

Chromecast is not a point to point device and DIAL doesn't expect it to be, unlike DLNA.

The router is bridging traffic between the two radio frequencies, same as it would wifi with ethernet.

When you're tab casting at 5 GHz PC to a 2.4 GHz Chromecast, you're running a media web server conforming to Chromecast requirements - conceptually no different than Netflix and Netflix isn't on a server in your home at 2.4 GHz either.

In the phone scenario, all you're sending to the Chromecast are compact control signals - just as the content is provided courtesy of your router, so are the control signals.

Another view - put your phone and PC on different wifi frequencies - can you ftp (or similar) files between them using only wifi? The answer ought to be yes.

Does this help?

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
Chromecast radio signaling is weird on top of everything else.

On my HTC, if I set up wifi for DLNA auto-IP (the no-router scenario) and reset my router - my phone will momentarily see the Chromecast and attempt (and fail) a direct connection.

Sometimes during a router reset, using WiFi Analyzer, you'll see the Chromecast show up as a source right at the same channel that your router is going for.

It's a chatty little bugger. :)

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
similar but different

running a sky router in the living room and two tp-link 500 wireless homeplugs - one upstairs and one in the kitchen. the chromecast keeps losing the connection with the homeplugs, and has to be powered down and on again

the homeplugs run on the same SSID and password as the main router. Definately a connection problem as I've got two of them - whichever is in the living room stays connected at all times.

Any ideas? the AP isolation is disabled on the homeplugs

Upvote 0
Yeah, actually, here's a shot in the dark but so far, it's worked for me.

I originally chose to name mine "Chromecast" without the numbers and not "Living room" or "man cave" as Google suggested.

After trying 3 different routers on two different networks, two different phones, 4 different Android and 2 different iOS versions, I was unable to make that problem go away - and it started with Build 13300, and the introduction of "wifi robustness enhancements."

I renamed mine to "CC LR" on the idea that it was getting lost doing a lookup for "Chromecast" - and that's finally cured it for me.

A bud at XDA opined that it could be getting lost deciding if it had a ready device or a device in setup, and that's as good an explanation as any.

I suspect a race condition in the lookup and yours having to make additional hops before seeing the problem supports that.

I've filed a bug report with Google and will be updating them on this, please let me know if a rename works for you.

Also, and I need to add this to the sticky - as a matter of good form, probably a great idea to use longer DHCP leases.

Hope this helps. :)

Upvote 0
When they were originally set up, one was Rod's the other was Sam's. Mine was always connected in the living room with no problem, so re-set them both but with the other name i.e. Sam's was now Rod's.

"New" Rod's still works and "new" Sam's still playing up. Reset and changed to Sams (no apostrophe this time) and Living Room this afternoon. Just done a chromecast scan on my HTC One X and both appeared for a second, now it's only Living Room

Upvote 0
Thanks for all your help so far

No - they are always plugged straight into the HDMI port. In one location the chromecast is about 3 foot away from a wireless homeplug, in the other location it's about 10 foot away through a brick wall. Phones etc show a full signal at both points, if you follow my logic

Upvote 0
Yep, gotcha.

Well, maybe try an HDMI extender at one of the problem locations - I guess RF interference from a TV could happen, and your phone is likely to have a better antenna.

I'm really just tossing out ideas here. :(

Have you tried Wifi Analyzer to make sure that you're not on a crowded wifi channel at that point?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones