• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Connecting a Galaxy Note to a projector..

darkmav

Nov 30, 2011
Hi

Has anyone investigated the possibility of connecting a Galaxy Note (or for that matter, an S2) to a projector? As a student, this would be an incredibly useful feature for me.

For a regular old fashioned VGA projector, one would need some kind of a dock or interface converting Micro USB to VGA out. Is such a cable available, and if so, how would the projector interact with the phone?

Any ideas, or opinions?

TIA.

Thanks, this seems like an interesting product. I'm based in India, so I'll have to figure out how to get it and not get ripped off.

Have you used this though? Does it work with the Galaxy Note? I've bought a lot of data cables in the past which claimed to work with one or other of my phones, but never did.

The only problem with this device is that the cable size is small, so while holding the Note in my hand during a presentation, I'd have to be fairly close to the projector.

Is there a wifi version of this device? That would be super awesome :cool:

Upvote 0
I am not sure if they ship it to India and its gonna cost a lot if you use courier forwarding services....

No,I haven't used it....

Yes the cables pretty short....if the projector is roof mounted..you are screwed.

Btw there are wifi adapters for connecting VGA projectors to laptops, none for Android yet, sorry. (costs 100+ USD)

Upvote 0
I would get this and you can connect to a longer HDMI extension
Cable Matters 6 Feet Micro USB to HDMI MHL Cable in Black for Samsung, HTC Smar | eBay

Many more can be found on Ebay India
HDMI MHL Cable | eBay

Upvote 0
Is there a wifi version of this device? That would be super awesome :cool:

No, they're generally bluetooth if anything.

But you could try the PowerPoint OpenOffice Remote app, which lets you control a powerpoint presentation on your laptop via the wifi on your phone.

Does work, but you definitely need to practice a few times to make sure nothing nasty happens midway through!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies guys. There's a potential issue with the cable you mentioned. The EBay page says

This cable will NOT work without a power source. Power charger is not included in packaging. The MHL cable features an USB Micro-B (female) power input. Connect the charger supplied with your mobile device to the Micro USB input MHL cable Micro USB input to power your mobile device while it is in use. You may also search for ASIN B005E151O0 on Amazon to get the complementary power adapter kit for this adapter.

1. On a Galaxy Note, there's only one MicroUSB port. You can either connect this cable, or your charger.

2. The complementary power adapter kit points me to a Micro USB to VGA cable (Micro USB to VGA MHL Adapter for Samsung Galaxy S2, Samsung Infuse 4G, HTC Evo 3D, HTC Flyer Tablet, and HTC Sensation Phone), which I'm guessing is the VGA version. It requires a power adapter too.

3. If the cellphone can connect to a laptop or a desktop via wifi, which in turn controls the projector, then the need for a cable can be eliminated. This is probably where that Power Point remote app comes in. I'll check it out...thanks again!

Upvote 0
I don't understand the problem.

I don't understand your description either ("female microusb of the cable"...). Can you be more specific? Male and female apply to the connectors or sockets at the ends of the cable.

If this is what you mean, let's say I have

(a) Galaxy Note (with ONE female MicroUSB slot and no other slots)
(b) Cable shipped with Galaxy Note (regular USB male and MicroUSB male)

Once (b) is plugged into (a), the other end of (b) can be connected either to a computer, or to a charger.

If the device is connected to a projector using one of the cables suggested above, then unless the projector has active +5V and GND lines in its USB interface, how will the Note get charged?

PS -- I don't have access to any of the cables suggested in the previous threads, so if you think this is a non-issue that will become evident upon inspection of the cable, then I will just wait to get it locally :)

Upvote 0
I would get this and you can connect to a longer HDMI extension
Cable Matters 6 Feet Micro USB to HDMI MHL Cable in Black for Samsung, HTC Smar | eBay

Many more can be found on Ebay India
HDMI MHL Cable | eBay

That's micro USB to hdmi , what he needs is micro USB to VGA , I haven't seen it on Ebay India yet

My bad overlooked the VGA bit and did not even realize one existed. :eek:

You can also get a Micro-USB extension cable:

Amazon.com: Plugable 10 Meter (32 Foot) USB 2.0 Active Extension Cable Type A Male to A Female: Electronics

Upvote 0
Dear all,

I have successfully managed to connect my Galaxy Note 2 to a VGA projector in a wireless way and thought I would share my solution in case anyone else is looking for a similar solution.

I had to purchase 2 devices to make this happen:
  • Samsung AllShare Cast Dongle
  • A HDMI to VGA Adapter with external power source. You will see options for cables without external power source, which I tried but did not work.

Step 1:
Connect the dongle HDMI output to the HDMI input port of the HDMI to VGA adapter, and connect the VGA output of the adapter to the VGA input of your projector. In case your projector has a HDMI input port, you do not need to invest in the HDMI to VGA adapter since the HDMI output from the AllShare Cast Dongle will go directly into the HDMI input of your projector.

Step 2:
On your Galaxy Note 2 go to Settings > More Settings > Nearby Devices, and select AllShare Cast Dongle, or simply follow the instructions on your projector screen to connect, and enjoy wireless freedom!

Let me know in case you have any questions with this setup.

Upvote 0
Hi,
I'm an italian teacher and I would like to get a galaxy note 10.1
Do you think samsung galaxy note 10.1 is easy to connect with every kind of projector in the same way you did with your galaxy note II?
I teach in several different situations and I can never choose the device to show my slides
I've been searching these informations in the web and I asked in several shops but I couldn't get satisfying answers to them.
The whole kit (note 10.1, Samsung AllShare Cast Dongle, a HDMI to VGA Adapter with external power source) seems to be very expensive and I would like to be sure it works properly
Thank you in advance

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones