1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Connecting Android prhone to Linux: "paired but not connected"

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by ofnuts, Jan 15, 2012.

1. ofnuts

ofnuts Newbie
    None

Jan 14, 2012
    Programming
    Paris
    I'm trying to establish a BT link between my Android phone (Android 2.3) and my PC (Ubuntu 10.04 with KDE).

Paring between the two seems to have worked (both list the other one as paired). On the Ubuntu side, I have also marled the phone as "trusted". In the Android file manager (Astro) I can select a file, send it by BT and specify the PC as the receiving device. But I eventually get a connection failure and the file isn't transferred. Sending a file from the PC doesn't work either (no error, just a file transfer that doesn't end).

On the Ubuntu side, I tried with and without "connecting" the phone before sending the file from Android. Strange thing: once I connect the phone form Ubuntu, it says "connected" and remains so, but disconnects as soon as I try to send the file from my phone.

BT connection with my previous phone (Nokia) was also a rain dance, but at least I got some rain.

Any ideas? Should I try first to "connect" the PC on the Android side? But if so, how?

Advertisement

2. chrstdvd

chrstdvd Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 28, 2010
    Retired
    Virginia
    The first thing I thought about when I saw this thread and figured out what BT meant was, "you can not use bluetooth with a computer". So I Googled it. Be darn, I found this article that tells you how to do it, How To Connect Your Cell Phone To PC Through Bluetooth .

I promptly went to ebay and bought the "dongle" for the computer. I will give it a try once the thing arrives.

You might want to read the tutorial, it is for Windows but should not matter if you know the equivalent in you ubuntu.

3. ofnuts

ofnuts Newbie
    None

Jan 14, 2012
    Programming
    Paris
    Well, as I said above, I already connect a Nokia/Symbian phone via BT on that computer, so everything should work. Actually the link you have looks a lot like how things went with my Nokia. But they don't happen the same way with the Android phone.

If I initiate the pairing from the PC, I get a message "Sorry but your Bluetooth device doesn't support input service". If I start from the Android side, making the phone discoverable and initiating the pairing works: the PC displays the same authent code and the phone, and both eventually indicate pairing with the other (on the phone, the PC gets a "PC" icon, different from the "phone" icon display next to my Nokia, and thi smakes me think that the pairing went really OK).

The problems isn't limited to Astro, the Gallery and the Camera get the same kind of error if they try to share the picture by BT.