• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Connecting Behold 2 to computer via USB

Thanks deeoh1084 for your reply.

> go in to phone setting and change the usb setting to mass storage
I had that already.

> and when you plug the usb to the computer in the notification bar
Is the notification bar that blue line on the bottom of my computer that has a start button on the left side?

> click the usb connected and mount it to the computer
This will require to continue an answer to the previous question.

Upvote 0
As deeoh1084 stated you need to change a few settings to get it mounted on Windows.

I will outline here everything you must do:
1. Connect USB cable to phone and Computer.
2. Pull down top notification bar on the phone(Just slide your finger from the top of the screen down)
3. Click on "USB connected"
4. Click "Mount"
-->This will then mount the SD card to your computer as a removable Disk. Once done, transfering files over...
5. Once again pull down on the notification bar.
6. Click "Turn off USB storage"
7. Click "Turn Off"
8. Voila SD card once again mounted on the phone.

Upvote 0
Thank you Mastermind278 and deeoh1084 for your help. When I follow these instructions on my wifes computer, I plug in USB and a message "usb device not recognized" pops up and the notification bar doesn't have a mount option. When I try on my laptop it works just fine (no windows pop up and mount option shown).

I have searched google but didn't find an answer maybe because it's too early since the behold 2 was released last month. The pdf manual doesn't even have the word "usb". I have made a request with samsung and will call them tomorrow because they're closed already. I'll update this thread as I'll communicate with samsung.

Upvote 0
jlruddell, I think that the phone is not the problem because (as I wrote on top) I was not able to connect to my wife's computer but I was able to connect to my laptop. I just tried calling samsung and found out that they will be opened on Monday. I think that eventually they'll offer a driver (a software that tells the computer how to communicate with a device) to install.

Upvote 0
I just now called samsung and was transferred to Level 2 which was unhelpful. Once again I was told to plug in to usb and in the notification to click on mount but I said that I don't get the option to mount. The representative was surprised that I'm not getting the option and said that this is the only resource of help that they have (Level 2). She told me to call on Monday and that I will be transferred to Level 3.

One problem is that level 3 closes at 5:30 and I doubt that I'll be able to make it home. jlruddell, do you have an opportunity to create a ticket with samsung?

Upvote 0
A driver shouldn't be needed. Plugging in and selecting Mount from the notification tab on the phone should make the phone appear on the computer as a mass storage device(ie just like plugging in a flash drive). Also big question, is your computer up to date(run windows update lately?) and are you using the latest drivers for your system(ie drivers for the chipset on the motherboard, not the phone)

As a side note, how does the system handle when you plug in a regular ol' usb stick?

Upvote 0
It works fine when I plug a mouse or keyboard in and i believe my Windows updates are up to date but I could be wrong. All of this is taken care of by our IT department. When I plug in any other device including the Samsung Behold 1 it recognizes it but for the Behold II it doesn't give me the mount option in the notification bar. Although it does show that the phone is charging.

Upvote 0
If its a work pc, then there is the possibility that IT has things locked down, including the usb ports, but thats only if IT is really paranoid. But you say no mount option shows up, either in the usb settings(From home click menu>phone settings>usb settings) you dont have mass storage selected, IT has things locked down, or the cable you are using is only for charging. Strange yes, but I have heard of other users where they found out that the cable they were using was only for charging.

As a side note, the mouse and keyboard(or even another phone) are very different things so comparing them to plugging in the phone isnt really valid. Though another thing you can try is to bring up the device manager(Right click on My Computer, select Manage, select Device Manager) There from the menu, find the sort by connection. Plug the phone in and see if anything shows up in the device list(Anything red or yellow means something went wrong on the pc). If you dont see anything, expand the device tree and look for the usb hubs and see if anything related to the phone shows up there. If not then something is up with the phone(either something wrong, bad settings, or forgot to select mount).

Upvote 0
Okay so I expanded the device tree and when I hook up the USB cable it says unknown device (nothing red or yellow). I doubt it's strictly a charging cable because it works fine on my laptop at home and I'm able to mount my SD card just like standard procedure. I'm starting to think that maybe this computer at work is either not up to date or lacks the neccessary drivers needed to associate with the phone.

How do you update the drivers for your system and what not?

Upvote 0
Well considering its a work pc run by IT you may be out of luck. But try this. Right click on the Unknown Device and try search for drivers and tell it to connect to windows update. Also try manually running windows update. If this is a dell machine, then with simply the model number you can go to their support site and find drivers for the system there.

PS: You are starting to enter "You are on your own here" territory, as this is something more suited for someone with experience to sit down and play with.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately it is a Dell and when I try to manually install it says my network administrator won't allow it. It seems that all updates are at IT level. Also when I try to update the driver I don't see the update to windows option.

AAGGGGHHH I have no control over this comp at all, I guess I'll just have to sync up all my media on my laptop at home.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones