• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Connecting Galaxy ACE to laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
cant you understand there are two ways to connect the phone to PC with usb cable?
one is to use the USB storage mode that mounts the drive E on PC, on the drive E you can copy any file from the PC or do anything you want, simple and best way to manage your phone!
the other is using Kies, only problem Kies doesn't connect to phone if you have usb storage mode enabled (drive E mounted on PC), that's what I have been trying to tell you, so why are you confused?

This drive "E" is the USB port on my computer, right? I plug in my phone using a USB cable. I look into explorer and see no removable storage device until I change the GREEN Android to ORANGE! Then it shows a standard "E" drive,........not a symbol of my phone.
When I right click on this "E" drive and ask it to explore there are about 5 folders but nothing in them.
It does show a VCard File which looked like contacts, I clicked on it and it was "A" contact, not a list but a contact, when I tried to close it , it changed to a different contact, and continued to do this everytime I tride to close the VCard!!!! I had to end the program to stop it!!!!!
So how do I get my contacts to the computer? Or from my email on the computer to my phone?
How do I get my photos from the phone to the computer or from the computer to the phone?

Kies,..........you will have to explain that to me again.
I thought you had to plug the phone into a USB port to access Kies?
Thanks

Upvote 0
Kies,..........you will have to explain that to me again.
I thought you had to plug the phone into a USB port to access Kies?
yes, you have to plug the phone with usb cable! just don't touch anything on the phone! leave the green android alone! don't do anything on the phone!
all you have to do is open kies on the laptop then kies will see the phone!
do you get it this time? do you understand now you cannot run kies with drive E mounted on the laptop?
How do I get my photos to the computer
if the phone is in usb storage mode, just copy the folder containing the photos to drive E or to laptop, this is very simple just use the drive like you use the laptop file system.
you can create any folder on the drive E put whatever you want from the laptop on it, unmount the drive E and remove the cable, then on the phone you can see everything you copied from the laptop.
So how do I get my contacts to the computer
for this you will have to use Kies to import contacts not the usb storage mode

Upvote 0
yes, you have to plug the phone with usb cable! just don't touch anything on the phone! leave the green android alone! don't do anything on the phone!
all you have to do is open kies on the laptop then kies will see the phone!
do you get it this time? do you understand now you cannot run kies with drive E mounted on the laptop?

if the phone is in usb storage mode, just copy the folder containing the photos to drive E or to laptop, this is very simple just use the drive like you use the laptop file system.
you can create any folder on the drive E put whatever you want from the laptop on it, unmount the drive E and remove the cable, then on the phone you can see everything you copied from the laptop.

for this you will have to use Kies to import contacts not the usb storage mode

Okay correct me if I'm wrong;
I plug the USB cable into my phone, I get the Kies program open on my computer, I then plug the USB cable into the computer,..................correct so far?
Now the Kies is trying to connect to the phone,........which it cannot!!!!
Looking at the phone while trying to connect I see lock and unlock swip keys, I see the time and date, I see that it's charging and in the top left hand corner I see the USB symbol.
THAT'S ALL I see on the phone while connected to the laptop with the USB cable and Kies open.

if the phone is in usb storage mode, just copy the folder containing the photos to drive E or to laptop,

I don't understand this?
I have about 40 contacts on my phone and about 15 photos,...........I do not see them in any folder on my computer.

Okay, so I want to make a folder with all my email address, phone numbers and mail address of about 120 people. (family)
How do I get this to my phone so that when I look in contacts on the phone, I will see them all?
Also I have some photos on my computer I want to show people, and use the phone to show them, so how do I get the photos on my phone?
Thanks

Upvote 0
@wfeere: To unmount the SD card 'Menu'->'Settings'->'SD card & phone storage'-> 'Unmount SD Card'.
I remembered that on my PC with 10 USB ports, 8 usable, one in the front used to accepted ONLY my Sony Ericsson K750i cable & nothing else, nothing connected to it works so I now ignore it. Not tried it with this phone. I basically use

Upvote 0
I plug the USB cable into my phone, I get the Kies program open on my computer, I then plug the USB cable into the computer,..................correct so far?
Now the Kies is trying to connect to the phone,........which it cannot!!!!
have you thought of checking if the drive E is still visible on the laptop before trying with kies?
look if you don't want to understand what I have been trying to tell you all the time I'm giving up.
as for your other questions, you got it all wrong! it doesn't work that way putting contacts in a folder, contacts have to be imported using some application like Kies or from a compatible backup file.
as for putting photos on the phone I have already explained how but you don't want to listen do you?
Bye.

Upvote 0
have you thought of checking if the drive E is still visible on the laptop before trying with kies?
look if you don't want to understand what I have been trying to tell you all the time I'm giving up.
as for your other questions, you got it all wrong! it doesn't work that way putting contacts in a folder, contacts have to be imported using some application like Kies or from a compatible backup file.
as for putting photos on the phone I have already explained how but you don't want to listen do you?
Bye.

I LOVE THIS THREAD!! ;) Some of the posts & their replies are hysterical!! This sort of thing is what makes this forum so great (helpful AND entertaining!!) :D Graham

Upvote 0
Bye.

Forgive me for being cell phone and computer illiterate!!!
The forum is here to help not make someone feel stupid!
I have read all the treads over so many times, I have tried everything in the threads.
Thanks for trying

Upvote 0
I did, you kinda didn't tell me anything,.......sorry.
The MyPhoneExplorer isn't in English!
Thanks

My friend I am using this s/w (My other posts on this forum tells how long I have been using this s/w) :) & know its in English. Please look carefully at the site :) http://www.fjsoft.at/en/ Also check out http://socrates0.blogspot.com/2012/01/samsung-galaxy-ace-useful-points.html
It's all ENGLISH. I am surprised that you say that post of mine 'does not tell you ANYTHING'. Looks like a major communication gap somewhere because that post is quite explicit in what it says.

Upvote 0
My friend I am using this s/w (My other posts on this forum tells how long I have been using this s/w) :) & know its in English. Please look carefully at the site :) FJ Software Development Also check out Socrates?s experience: Samsung Galaxy Ace Useful points
It's all ENGLISH. I am surprised that you say that post of mine 'does not tell you ANYTHING'. Looks like a major communication gap somewhere because that post is quite explicit in what it says.

Hello, I downloaded MyPhoneExplorer.
I opened it and this is what I have on the left of the window.
Contacts
Calls
Organizer
Others
Where is the Gallery for photos?
Can I share photos with my computer and phone with this?
Thanks.
PS. This works USB or WiFi,..........GREAT!!!!

Upvote 0
Buddy I have a feeling tha you are NOT exploring the s/w on your own. I suspected that you would say this & had kept this pic ready.

http://imgur.com/d8EWK

If you look carefully in the left pane you will notice that I have expanded 'Files' AND it shows what I mentioned in my previous post. You will also notice the same in the right side pane. If you look at the bottom of the pic it says I have connected my phone via bluetooth. In post #64 you opened the s/w thats fine But the main thing is HAVE you connected the s/w to the phone via bluetooth or wifi by going to the Menu bar ->'Files'-> Settings & selecting either bluetooth or wifi & doing the rest of the steps in the blog I mentioned in my previous post only then can you expand the 'Files' in the left pane, & gain access to the phone. Surely that would be obvious. :)

Upvote 0
Buddy I have a feeling tha you are NOT exploring the s/w on your own. I suspected that you would say this & had kept this pic ready.

imgur: the simple image sharer

If you look carefully in the left pane you will notice that I have expanded 'Files' AND it shows what I mentioned in my previous post. You will also notice the same in the right side pane. If you look at the bottom of the pic it says I have connected my phone via bluetooth. In post #64 you opened the s/w thats fine But the main thing is HAVE you connected the s/w to the phone via bluetooth or wifi by going to the Menu bar ->'Files'-> Settings & selecting either bluetooth or wifi & doing the rest of the steps in the blog I mentioned in my previous post only then can you expand the 'Files' in the left pane, & gain access to the phone. Surely that would be obvious. :)

Yes I have all of that except I don't have,................memory stick or memory phone?
Even the screen shot you have doesn't list "Photos" any where on the list!!!
Thanks

Upvote 0
if your still having issues connecting via usb, try this:
1. go to "settings"
2. applications
3. development
4. USB development mode enable

location of this setting may vary, but should work, no guarantees though.

You are right on,.....in plane English, no song and dance,............thanks!!!!!!
My computer recognizes my phone now!!!
Kies program works GREAT!!!!!!
Thank you again

Upvote 0
@wfeere: Please re-read #65
‘You can connect to MyPhoneExplorer thru USB cable, WiFi or Bluetooth when your phone is connected to this s/w expand the ‘Files’ that you see on the left pane you should see your memory card as well as your phone memory. Before you connect to this s/w I suggest that you export your contacts to your memory card. To connect your phone read this Socrates?s experience: Setup instructions for MyPhoneExplorer for Samsung Galaxy S YES i know its written for a different phone but the procedure is the same as both are Android phones. What do you mean by ‘share photos’ do you mean transferring to the computer? Feel free to explore this s/w it won’t destroy your phone’
You should click on the icon which say ‘Memory Stick’ (as mentioned in the pic) which denotes the memory card in your phone & you would be able to see the contents of your memory card on your phone.
‘Yes I have all of that except I don't have,................memory stick or memory phone?’
If you look at the pic again you will notice it says ‘Phone Memory’ AND NOT AS YOU SAY IT ‘memory phone’ which has a totally different meaning. :rolleyes:

Also I believe you did not understand that in post #68 I have mentioned this
‘If you look at the bottom of the pic it says I have connected my phone via bluetooth. In post #64 you opened the s/w that’s fine But the main thing is HAVE you connected the s/w to the phone via bluetooth or wifi’
If you don’t connect your phone to the s/w how will you see its contents. For your info, this phone ONLY saves pics on the memory card & you will find that folder 'DCIM'->'Camera' in which you will find the photos taken frm the phone camera.

I suggest that you go to The social enabler. - Samsung Galaxy Ace - Smartphones - Mobile Phones | SAMSUNG which is the Samsung Support page (for Canada), download the ‘User Guide’ . Available in two languages.

You are right on,.....in plane English, no song and dance,............thanks!!!!!!
My computer recognizes my phone now!!!
Kies program works GREAT!!!!!!

Good for you that you have been able to understand somebody here :D now after you explore KIES you will it's limitations :D You can then explore other options.
:D BTW what has been mentioned above (Its called USB debugging in ver 2.3.4). :)

Reactions: GrahamF
Upvote 0
well you guys really should cut him some slack. :)

I am new to android os as well, but not computer programming/linux. Nowhere does the Kies software mention to use the USB debug mode and, honestly, there would be no reason for a newbie to think about going to a "development" screen and using "debug", the name actually implies otherwise.

This example is exactly the reason ios "seems" superior sometimes, you just plug in an iphone and load itunes and it works, no fiddling with the settings. I hate itunes by the way, NOT saying ios actually is superior but for persons new to this architecture or PCs/Linux/programming in general are going to find ios easier to use and that gives android a bad rap.

I like my Ace, was a good bargain. I hope support doesn't fade for our low-mid end device. Look forward to trying out some new roms to get the full capability of the device.

I'm just curious, is there actually a reason that a person would ever need to disable debug mode? I have found its better just to leave it on and forget it. It seems every USB action needs this on. Why even have a "debug" mode? I could understand for security reasons to turn it off, but then why not call it usb security mode? Just wondering.......:thinking:

also somethings I would like to ask an expert on the Ace, these are still inline with the thread topic.......
1. has anyone had success getting Ace USB connection to Laptop ethernet to internet working? (commonly called reverse tethering or usb pass through). I can get it working but have issues through a work network proxy. is there a rom that has this function incorporated already?

2. also trying to get this to connect to adhoc wifi network. any advice? I have been working through a few solutions on other threads/forums but no luck yet. I think if i flash a new rom, like CM7.2 then it enables the adhoc connections. can someone confirm that?

sorry for long post! :D

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
I'd like you guys to try this, disable USB debug mode before connecting phone to computer, you will find that USB debug mode is enabled again automatically when phone is connected so unless he was actually disabling USB debug mode after connecting phone this wasn't what fixed the problem with Kies!

in my view he was lucky things where working this time probably restarting the computer just fixed it.
thanks

Upvote 0
I'd like you guys to try this, disable USB debug mode before connecting phone to computer, you will find that USB debug mode is enabled again automatically when phone is connected so unless he was actually disabling USB debug mode after connecting phone this wasn't what fixed the problem with Kies!

in my view he was lucky things where working this time probably restarting the computer just fixed it.
thanks

no....my setting stays disabled whenever I reboot or disconnect/reconnect. If I turn it on it will also stay on till I turn it off.

This setting IS what fixed his problem. Kies will not work unless you are in debug mode.

Upvote 0
no....my setting stays disabled whenever I reboot or disconnect/reconnect. If I turn it on it will also stay on till I turn it off.

This setting IS what fixed his problem. Kies will not work unless you are in debug mode.
what version of android do you have, I have noticed this right from the beginning with original stock 2.2.2, 2.3.3 and now with 2.3.6 every time I connect to computer with USB debug mode disabled it will enable automatically, why yours is different or is it the computer?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones