1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Connecting i5800 to computer..

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by eKulz, Mar 15, 2011.

1. eKulz

eKulz Lurker
    None

Mar 15, 2011
    Okay I have had the Galaxy 3 i5800 for about a week now, and for the first few days it has been connecting fine to the PC and I am able to see it in my computer and device manager etc to access my files on my sd card. However when I decided I would try root my phone, I plugged it into my computer (without doing anything to the phone) and it couldn't install the device drivers.. said something about malfunctioning. It also does this with USB debugging mode enabled..

So I tried both again today and it didn't work. I found some kind of drivers on the samsung website for my phone and installed them.. still doesn't work..
    I installed samsung Kies on my PC for my phone.. still doesnt work..

pretty much when I plug my phone into the PC, nothing in the notifications bar comes up asking me to mount my SD card. my phone starts charging however. In my PC I hear the sound of a device being plugged in, but nothing is shown in My Computer.

I have reformatted my SD card (and unplugged it), still, nothing even appears on my computer.
    I have tried every single USB port. (8)
    I have turned the phone off and on with the USB cable connected. When it turns on it gives me the option in notifications on my phone to transfer files between my computer, when I choose it nothing happens.
    Any help would be appreciated.. I am seriously pissed off right now...:thinking:

Advertisement

2. j0nb0y

j0nb0y Member
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    There are a number of posts in this forum about connecting to pc so it would be worth a trawl through to see if anyone else has your specific issue.

first off though, when connecting as a USB mass storage device have you selected the MassStorage option in USB settings?

also when connecting to kies have you selected the samsung kies option in USB settings?

i've not really come across many people failing to connect as mass storage but a common solution to connecting to kies (which also worked for me) is to unmount your sd card first, start kies and then plug in your phone.

3. j0nb0y

j0nb0y Member
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    i should point out that i was in a similar situation where when i first got my phone it connected fine first time everytime. but then it just stopped. no explination. tried removing drivers and re-installing but no luck. quite why in my case unmounting the sd card should fix the problem is a mystery.

4. eKulz

eKulz Lurker
    None

Mar 15, 2011
    I've been searching this and other forums for a while now with no solution. Most threads go unanswered our it was just someones basic mistake.

Yes I have tried each usb setting including mass storage and still, nothing works... That includes the kies setting.

And yeah I have done the un mount sd card option and it didn't work. Would factory resetting my internal memory work ?

5. eKulz

eKulz Lurker
    None

Mar 15, 2011
    does anyone have any other suggestions before I reset the internal memory? I'm gonna be annoyed if it doesnt work and I have to redownload everything lol

6. eKulz

eKulz Lurker
    None

Mar 15, 2011
    here's a picture of what happens after i use a driver removal program, and plug the phone back in. There is nothing showing up in my computer but there is the samsung USB composite device in device manager.. No notifications are showing up on my phone
    i5800i.jpg

7. eKulz

eKulz Lurker
    None

Mar 15, 2011
    Well after all that, a factory reset fixed it. I guess it's good to start off fresh as I was changing settings and playing around with my settings when I had no idea what i was doing, as it is my first android.
    I like how i'm mostly talking to myself LOL

8. drbrainsol

drbrainsol Member
    None

Mar 8, 2011
    Student
    London
    not many are interested in this phone unfortunately. Most ppl get the samsung galaxy S or, if they can't afford that, go for the galaxy europa. This phone is sort of a jack of all trades :p

Good that you got it fixed eventually :)