• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Connecting my HTC Desire HD to Car's Pioneer Head Unit

T3RRY TURB0

Lurker
May 21, 2011
Iv been trying multiple ways of streaming the music located on the SD card in my Desire HD to my Pioneer deh-p700bt head unit. Before i upgraded from my Nokia N97 i used to be able to connect via bluetooth as a paired device, once connected, select my media player and select any song i like which would come out of the car speakers, however, i cant seem to do this on my new HTC! Iv got it successfully paired and i can make phone calls through my stereo system (with handsfree also installed), however when i try and play via the media player, it comes straight out of the phone, when going into "BT Audio" and trying to pair the device again, it says 'Error'.

The stereo is also Ipod compatible as it as USB input lead that comes out the back of the Headunit, so iv plugged in the HTC USB lead into this, plugged it into my phone, the phone obviously realises that its been plugged into another device as it asks me what i would like to do, i.e. charge only, use as disk drive etc.

The Head unit then states "USB" which i thought was the end of it, but when trying to play music through the phone again, i get "FORMAT READ" !?

Anyone got any bright ideas?

Android devices will pair up to most USB headunits with USB debugging turned on, and the devices mounted in mass storage mode. HOWEVER, I have yet to get any type of results with Pioneer decks. (I work in a car stereo/cell phone store, so I play with all different combos). I personally own a Fascinate and a Pioneer headunit, and despite my many attempts of setting/app combinations that work with other brands of headunits, no luck whatsoever with Pioneers. JVC, Sony, Kenwood, and the newest series of Alpines will work with debugging enabled, and in most cases, with at least one music file in the root directory as a "flag". In some cases, this is not needed, and in cases where it is, it is used simply to get the headunit to recognize that there are playable media files on the device. Once it is recognized, the contents of the SD card can be browsed. Again, Pioneer headunits have done absolutely zero with any brand of phone/software/setting combination I have tried, but I recently reached out to some members of Pioneers development team, and some other members of the car audio community to see if something has been discovered. If anything arises, I'll reply back with an update.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones