1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Connecting my tablet to a hotel ethernet connection

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Android Question, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Android Question

None
    My hotel in Japan will only have a wired internet connection in my room, so I am considering buying some kind of a portable (wired to wireless) travel router. As most hotels require some kind of login will I be able to connect to the router in order to enter the required information?

Any recommendations as to the preferred device to purchase?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    Any router will work, but D-Link used to make one that fit into a small case (about 4X6 IIRC - mine's in the garage and it's cold out there) called the DWL-G730AP, It's complete, including an Ethernet cable (a short one) and power supply. You wouldn't notice it in a laptop case. (I've been asked how much I want for mine, but they don't make them any more, and I travel, so I won't sell it.)

But I see that there are some used ones for sale on Amazon for as little as $10 (that one has an ethernet cord so aside from the pretty little flat cable that comes with it - this is probably a round cable - it'll work fine,) Amazon.com: D-Link DWL-G730AP AirPlus G High Speed 2.4GHz 802.11g Wireless Pocket Router/AP: Electronics There's a later model that's more expensive (also discontinued - everyone has free wifi these days, right?), but the 730 will do what you need. I've used mine many times to not have to be tethered to an Ethernet jack that some genius mounted under the bed, and even to use as a wifi adapter for games and old laptops that had no wifi adapter.

3. hip2b2

hip2b2 Lurker
    None

Jan 26, 2014
    Rukbat,

I am using a tablet with only WiFi. If I understand the process correctly I pre-set the SSID of the travel router to "something". Connect the router to the hotel Ethernet, and connect my tablet to "something" WiFi connection. All should be good from that point on and I should be able to log into the the hotel system as per normal?

Thanks

hip