• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Connecting Tablet to DSLR

I have a Canon T1i DSLR camera. With the camera came Windows utility software that lets me connect to the camera and control it from the laptop.

The main benefits are:
1. You can see the Live View on the laptop screen instead of the small screen on the back of the camera.

2. You can control the camera remotely for shots such as taking pictures of the night sky without making the camera vibrate.

I would love to see a way to connect my Android table to my DSLR and do the same thing. Did find one iPhone app but it only controls the camera when it is connected to the laptop.

I already have a remote control for the camera, but would love to see the viewfinder view from the DSLR on the tablet screen.

I can't believe nobody has made this yet. a developer could not only make a small fortune from this, but I think if this can be accomplished sans pc connection, we would see a nice migration of ipad users to Android.

With the Xoom and other tablets featuring usb, this should be possible. I believe what is needed, is for someone to adapt the Canon EOS utility.

I would be over the moon for this.

Upvote 0
am searching for any way - preferably an app on a compatible market - that would let me use my Viewsonic gtablet (running the stock system) as a live viewfinder for my Canon bodies; would be especially helpful when covering events like school dances. Would be willing to pay! Just do not have the know-how to create.... Help!

Upvote 0
am searching for any way - preferably an app on a compatible market - that would let me use my Viewsonic gtablet (running the stock system) as a live viewfinder for my Canon bodies; would be especially helpful when covering events like school dances. Would be willing to pay! Just do not have the know-how to create.... Help!

You will be pleased to see this (if you shoot with a Canon) : Xoom to DSLR: Knowns and Unknowns - Page 4 - xda-developers. Nikon is in the future, too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones