1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Connecting to public wifi - safety?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by ZingXao, May 4, 2012.

1. ZingXao

ZingXao Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 11, 2011
    I never usually do it, but I needed to check my email and didn't have any signal for 3G. I connected to my universities wifi and logged in with my student credentials.

How safe is it doing that? All I did was check my email and Facebook.

Advertisement

2. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    Male
    Private Security
    Seattle
    Typically it is ok. When you are on an open Wifi you are vulnerable.

For example there is an Android app called DroidSheep (not on the market) that if I was to use it and I had been on the same network as you I could have browsed Your Facebook page as You including Your IP address.

Over open Wifi, anything can be intercepted. While it is not likely that it would be, it is possible.

DonB likes this.
  3. akamad

akamad Member
    None

Oct 30, 2011
    Australia
    It also depends on how your email client is configured. If it is over an ssl connection you should be fine as it is encrypted.
    Likewise with Facebook. Always access it at https://Facebook.com instead of http://Facebook.com

4. Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime Oil Can!!! Oil Can!!!
    None

Feb 15, 2012
    Male
    Web Dev
    Texas
    I personally would never use open wifi for the fact it's not secure and you run the risk of someone spying on you. If I'm out I just use my network really quick.

5. Demache

Demache Android Expert
    None

Apr 18, 2010
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I would be wary doing anything that deals with sensitive data. So no bank information, don't purchase items and ESPECIALLY no Social Security numbers.

Casual web browsing is fine, and even personal email to a degree is fine since that traffic is normally encrypted (however, you are not 100% safe, since there can be rogue servers set up on the network specifically to capture that information by tricking your computer into thinking its the legit website).

Browsing sites like this is most likely fine, since I can honestly say in good faith that an identity thief couldn't care less about your Androidforums account info. Unless your email passwords happens to be the same as your Androidforums account.