• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Connecting to TV

I watch certain sports on YouTube and frequently want to connect my HUDL2 to the TV to do so.

I have had no problems doing this until the Lollipop upgrade. Since then I can still connect it to my TV's HDMI port as before, however, whilst previously the HUDL would continue to show the pictures on it's own screen, now as soon as I start a video playing, the HUDL screen switches off.

On the face of it this conserves the battery and might be though of as a good thing, however, I cannot of course then control the video as I did before - I cannot pause or FF/rewind because the HUDL screen is off. The only way to turn it back on again (that I have been able to find) is the pull out the HDMI lead. Pressing other buttons just freezes the device completely and requires a full re-set and re-start to get it running again.

This is not satisfactory because (a) it's inconvenient (b) it will surely start to loosen the connection by repeatedly pulling it out and (c) a further anomaly occurs when I put the plug back in - whilst play resumes from where I left off, the will pause after a time equal to the time the cable was removed for elapses i.e. if watch a video for (say) 9 minutes then pull the plug out to pause it for (say) 6 minutes, when I plug it back in the video will resume at the 9 minute point, but when it gets to 15 minutes (6 mins later, the time the plug was out for) it will pause. At this point the HUDL screen does actually switch back on so I all I have to do is press play to make it resume playing but I have to get up from my chair a second time for no reason!

Is there a setting that I can change to stop the screen switching off as soon as I connect via HDMI to another device as this is very annoying?

So far I haven't come across anything that I feel is better since the Lollipop update, but this issue is certainly the worst for me personally. If it wasn't so hard to roll back to the previous version I would certainly do so!

Thanks - I'd forgotten that when I first started using the HUDL I used to tap the cast button and watch directly on the TV but after a while the 'cast' button disappeared and I was no longer able to do so. I was never able to figure out why it had stopped working, but after wasting a lot of time on it, I went old school and got a cable which I have used ever since. I've actually got a YouTube App on the TV but the search facility isn't great and more often than not the videos 'stutter' and become (for me) unwatchable, which is why I use the tablet to access YouTube. I understand from forums that this is a common problem with no solution.

Another issue I have had ever since I first got the HUDL (which might be related to the missing cast button) is that I have never been able to make Bluetooth and WiFi work at the same time. Turn on WiFi and Bluetooth switches off and vice versa. This means I am unable to stream music and play on a Bluetooth speaker. This too seemed to be a common issue on forums some years ago and I tried many of the suggested solutions, including the most obvious of switching WiFi frequencies - nothing helped. Again, after spending a massive amount of time on it, I solved it by simply using a cable, which I still use today. I did check after the Lollipop update in case this was fixed but it wasn't.

For me, cables have proved to be the simplest and most reliable way to connect, so I will stick with that method. I thought it was the perfect solution until this annoying Lollipop issue!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones