1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Connecting to wifi while screen is off settings

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Waldy, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Waldy

Waldy Newbie
    None

Jun 16, 2011
    I have my transformer set up so it should turn off wifi while screen is turned off but it is still barking to me about new emails so I know it is connecting to the internet. This happens while the tablet is connected to the dock.
    Is this a known issueand is there a workaround?

I have the latest update from Asus.

Advertisement

2. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Check the settings on your email app, and also under Accounts & Sync. I expect you'll find a setting that essentially says 'turn on wifi to get updates'. Of course it won't be those words, but that will be the effect.

Waldy likes this.
  3. Waldy

Waldy Newbie
    None

Jun 16, 2011
    Ok, I had background data turned on. Now that its on off I hope the issue is solved.

4. bfksc

bfksc Android Expert
    None

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    I have background data enabled as it can't do anything if there is no WiFi connection. I also have sync enabled too, and the tablet is docked to the keyboard. If I disabled background data, then emails are not pushed to my device and I have to open an email app to retrieve new emails.

But under the wireless settings I have the wifi disconnect policy set to "when screen turns off" and this prevents background email fetching, etc. whenever the screen shuts off. But as soon as the screen is back on, the wifi connects and emails transfer within seconds alerting me of new emails. If your tablet is alerting when the screen is off, then something is keepng it awake with the wifi on.

Double-check all your settings.

Waldy likes this.
  5. Waldy

Waldy Newbie
    None

Jun 16, 2011
    The issue has not been solved. I have wifi off while screen off set and background data off and still its draining 10% of battery while tablet is turned off for 2 hours. I havent tested it while not docked to the keyboard, but I suspect its the keyboard that is sucking all the juice out of the tablet.

6. Sandroidfan

Sandroidfan Android Expert
    None

Jul 11, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Central TX
    Mine is also set to wife off while screen off. But I left background data, auto sync all on and my transformer drains only about 10% per whole day. And I don't have keyboard dock.