1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Connecting to Windows XP via USB

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by shmn, Feb 22, 2011.

1. shmn

shmn Android Enthusiast

Feb 14, 2011
    Marine Diesel Mech
    WA State
    When I hook up the EVO via USB to my Windows XP machine, I select the "Disk Drive" option on the EVO. The PC tries to install drivers but can't find any and then I get a message saying "Found new hardware. There was a problem installing the hardware...".

The EVO shows up as a generic drive on my PC "I:" and I can move files around with no problems. But every time I hook up the EVO to the PC I have to go through the same process.

Is there a more elegant solution to hooking up to a PC where the PC will actually recognize it as EVO? I don't need any other functionality other than moving files around (or maybe syncing would be nice?) but I would like the PC to know I've the EVO connected so I can find it easier rather than hunting through all the drive letters.

Advertisement

2. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Near Los Angeles
    It doesn't need those drivers to just mount as a disk drive, as you know, but if you ever want to use adb (or just want that to stop), install htc sync, which will then install the drivers.

shmn likes this.
  3. shmn

shmn Android Enthusiast

Feb 14, 2011
    Marine Diesel Mech
    WA State
    Thanks for the reply. Any downsides to HTC Sync? I found it on the HTC page and will download it.

4. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Near Los Angeles
    No, there is no downside. If you intend to root via unrevoked, just uninstall it, first.

Tags: