1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Connecting USB deletes all my photos!!! Help!!!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by roygmitchell, Sep 9, 2011.

1. roygmitchell

roygmitchell Lurker
    None

Aug 22, 2011
    Hi guys,
    I've got a Samsung Galaxy S II and love it. I've been having a maddening problem recently though. The photos that I take using the stock camera on the phone are being deleted each time I go to transfer them onto my laptop. I have tried it both with and without USB debugging enabled. The phone is fully up to date and the only way it seems that I can now get photos into my phone is via the Kies programme (which I absolutely hate because it's a wildly annoying and so slow programme).

Can you help?

Advertisement

2. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    Can you describe exactly what happens in detail, please? Something is well amiss here - mounting the drives to a PC should not cause anything to be deleted.

3. roygmitchell

roygmitchell Lurker
    None

Aug 22, 2011
    Will do slug.
    I take pics with the camera. Double check the gallery to make sure that the pics are definitely there. Plug in the usb into the laptop and phone. Pull down the notification bar to connect the usb to the computer and hit "Connect USB" . I can see both drives F & G. I click into the external SD card drive and go into the DCIM folder then Camera. The pictures that I have just taken will be there but a thumbnail cannot be shown and when you go to open it windows tells me that the file is damaged or may only be shown on the device (when I tried to view them on the device I'm told the same thing). I have no idea how I can simply just transfer pics via USB drag and drop methods now. Kies and Kies Air will both work.

4. Gurba

Gurba Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 29, 2010
    Male
    Norway
    Maybe a box in Kies saying something like "delete pics after sync" is tagged?

5. roygmitchell

roygmitchell Lurker
    None

Aug 22, 2011
    But the photos get deleted when I'm NOT using Kies. Using the frustratingly slow Kies is the only way I can transfer any photos at all!

6. biffsmash

biffsmash Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 1, 2010
    Have you tried letting KIES connect to the phone, then going to my computer, clicking on I9100 and getting to your pics that way? While Kies is on?
    Thats how I do it.
    Unless you mean your pics are on an SD card in the phone, then maybe the SD card is iffy?

7. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    You say you double-check that the photos are in Gallery after capture... are they not viewable even then i.e. you get the "file is damaged or may only be shown on the device" error message?

8. roygmitchell

roygmitchell Lurker
    None

Aug 22, 2011
    No I just check that they are there to make sure. They always are there and viewable, just that when I connect the phone to my laptop via mass storage they show up as corrupt or only viewable on the device.

9. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    I dunno... when you connect via USB and mount the drives to the PC you should be able to copy the image files from /DCIM/Camera via Windows Explorer. The images will no longer be accessible from the handset while the drives are mounted, however.

I suggest copying all data from the SD card to your PC then formatting the card on the handset (Settings/Storage/Unmount... then Format). There's always a chance the card has bad sectors or a corrupt file system.