1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Connection question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by loonee2n, Apr 25, 2012.

1. loonee2n

loonee2n Newbie

Could someone tell me the difference between the white and blue 3G and cell bars? Also, is anyone else having trouble with keeping connection and sync? I'm using Google Voice for texting and sometimes it won't send the text until I restart the phone or turn airplane mode on then off. Once I do that it syncs and pops up all my syncs in the status bar like email, texts, and Words with Friends updates. Do I have a bad radio or sim card, or is it more likely that there is a problem with Verizon in my area. My last smartphone didn't do this in this area, so I'm thinking there's a glitch in the phone.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...

When the bars are white, you are connected to the mobile network but not connected to the internet, basically no data. When they are blue you are all set.

The need for the airplane mode mode toggle is usually related to a weak 4G signal and the phone gets stuck switching between 3G and 4G. I would try changing your settings to CDMA only and see if that helps.

3. shelland

shelland Well-Known Member

I have the same issue, and there are other threads on this.

Everything I've read says that the white bars indicate the signal is available, but not connected. I don't believe it has anything to do with signal, because I can be without data and have my wife's Maxx in my other hand with 4 bars 4G.

4. loonee2n

loonee2n Newbie

Thanks for the explaination on the white vs. blue. As far as the other issue, I'm in an area with no 4G coverage. I already tried CDMA only and it doesn't help. It usually does it when I'm in my work building and it's switching between 3G and 1X, but when I get to an area with good 3G signal, I still have to airplane mode off/on or restart it before it sends. My old phone (LG Ally) never did that. It would send and sync as soon as it had a signal. Minor glitch for a phone that does everything else great! I'm sure they'll have an update that fixes it or hopefully ICS will take care of it.

5. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...

It seems the radios in these 3G/4G phones don't like weak signals. I still get it sometimes when I switch from WiFi to 3G on my Galaxy Nexus. I'm surprised to hear that with the Moto device as they are known to have good radios.

Motorola Droid RAZR Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews