1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Connection question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by loonee2n, Apr 25, 2012.

1. loonee2n

loonee2n Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Could someone tell me the difference between the white and blue 3G and cell bars? Also, is anyone else having trouble with keeping connection and sync? I'm using Google Voice for texting and sometimes it won't send the text until I restart the phone or turn airplane mode on then off. Once I do that it syncs and pops up all my syncs in the status bar like email, texts, and Words with Friends updates. Do I have a bad radio or sim card, or is it more likely that there is a problem with Verizon in my area. My last smartphone didn't do this in this area, so I'm thinking there's a glitch in the phone.

Advertisement

2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven OK Google

Jun 23, 2010
    Male
    Douglas, MA
    When the bars are white, you are connected to the mobile network but not connected to the internet, basically no data. When they are blue you are all set.

The need for the airplane mode mode toggle is usually related to a weak 4G signal and the phone gets stuck switching between 3G and 4G. I would try changing your settings to CDMA only and see if that helps.

3. shelland

shelland Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 23, 2010
    IT
    Twin Cities, MN
    I have the same issue, and there are other threads on this.

Everything I've read says that the white bars indicate the signal is available, but not connected. I don't believe it has anything to do with signal, because I can be without data and have my wife's Maxx in my other hand with 4 bars 4G.

4. loonee2n

loonee2n Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Thanks for the explaination on the white vs. blue. As far as the other issue, I'm in an area with no 4G coverage. I already tried CDMA only and it doesn't help. It usually does it when I'm in my work building and it's switching between 3G and 1X, but when I get to an area with good 3G signal, I still have to airplane mode off/on or restart it before it sends. My old phone (LG Ally) never did that. It would send and sync as soon as it had a signal. Minor glitch for a phone that does everything else great! I'm sure they'll have an update that fixes it or hopefully ICS will take care of it.

5. Unforgiven

Unforgiven OK Google

Jun 23, 2010
    Male
    Douglas, MA
    It seems the radios in these 3G/4G phones don't like weak signals. I still get it sometimes when I switch from WiFi to 3G on my Galaxy Nexus. I'm surprised to hear that with the Moto device as they are known to have good radios.