• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Connection to the Internet Through a USB Cable

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
The Wi-Fi connection speed is slow on the remote router. Therefore, I need to know how to connect through a USB cable.

I have connected the smartphone with Android 8.1.0 to a computer. After that, on the smartphone, I have gone to Settings > Network & Internet > Hotspot & tethering > USB tethering > On.

Next, on the computer, I have gone to Settings > Network & Internet> Ethernet > Change adapter options > Ethernet > Properties > Sharing > Allow other network uses to connect through this computer’s Internet connection > Home networking connection: > Ethernet 4 [the name of the smartphone’s connection].

There is still no access to the Internet on the smartphone. Is there anything else which needs to be done? Do you get Internet access when you follow the above steps on your devices?

Upvote 0
what about wireless hotspot option? do you have that option on your device? i use this on my pixelbook from time to time with no issues.
The hotspot option is available in my smartphone (although I do not know what it is). But I need to know how to connect to the Internet through a USB cable, because I have not been able to set up a WI-Fi connection and the router is far away.

Upvote 0
The hotspot option is available in my smartphone (although I do not know what it is). But I need to know how to connect to the Internet through a USB cable, because I have not been able to set up a WI-Fi connection and the router is far away.
hotspot will make your phone the wifi router so to speak. it will use your phone's cellular internet as the source. you just need to find it on your pc and you are good to go. you do not need to be in an are with wifi. i use it a lot when i'm near the beach or at a park. this is the easiest way to get to the internet. i believe usb tethering should be similar though it has been a very long while since i used it.

Upvote 0
The Wi-Fi connection speed is slow on the remote router. Therefore, I need to know how to connect through a USB cable.

I have connected the smartphone with Android 8.1.0 to a computer. After that, on the smartphone, I have gone to Settings > Network & Internet > Hotspot & tethering > USB tethering > On.

Next, on the computer, I have gone to Settings > Network & Internet> Ethernet > Change adapter options > Ethernet > Properties > Sharing > Allow other network uses to connect through this computer’s Internet connection > Home networking connection: > Ethernet 4 [the name of the smartphone’s connection].

There is still no access to the Internet on the smartphone. Is there anything else which needs to be done? Do you get Internet access when you follow the above steps on your devices?

Never tried it, but it does state that your phone MUST be rooted and modified, so the reverse USB tethering can work.

Does the computer have WiFi in it? If it does you can setup internet connetion sharing in the computer with WiFi, and connect the phone to the computer's WiFi. Basically your computer becomes the WiFi hotspot. Even if the computer doesn't have WiFi built-in, you can get an inexpensive USB WiFi dongle for it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones