• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Connecton problem. Persisting.

L

Lobiden

So what has been happening recently, is when I'm connected to wifi on my mobile. The wifi signal at the top of my screen will some times only display the upwards arrow and my internet won't work. But when I disconnected then reconnect it sorts itself temporarily but does it again 10 minutes later. Help?

What device are you using?

Have you tried rebooting the router? It could also be that the channel you're connected to is congested, causing a weak connection. Download an app called WiFi Analyzer on Play, use that to work out which channel is best, then change via your routers admin panel (the procedure will vary dependent on your router).

Upvote 0
Ok, setting the IP is either done by long pressing the connection on your phone, selecting modify, then advanced Or again, you can do it via your routers control panel.

On my BT homehub, I've found (despite the fact it should work the opposite way) my phones connection is much more stable when connected to the 2.4Ghz network, so if you have the option, see if that works too.

What router are you using?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You'd need to set the IP to something within the DHCP range of your network, I'm in work and can't remember off hand, but I think I set the IP via the router to 192.168.1.88. As long as it falls within range and doesn't conflict with any of the other devices on your network, it doesn't actually matter what you set it to.

If you're using one of the newer homehubs, both the 2.4Ghz networks and 5Ghz networks have the same SSID, you can change that in the admin panel, but again I can't remember off hand how to change so I'll need to have a look when I get home from work.

This may not work, but what you're experiencing sounds exactly the same as the issues I had with my Android device and homehub and this is what sorted it for me.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
You'll be best doing this on a PC Enter http://192.168.1.254/ in to your browser, head to Advanced Settings, enter your router password, then press continue. Hit Wireless, 5GHz Wireless, Change "Sync with 2.4GHz" to no, then give the network a different name and hit apply.

Reconnect your phone to the 2.4GHz network, wait a bit, then via your router admin panel, head to Home Network, Devices, Click on your phone, then change "Always Use This IP Address" to yes, then hit apply.

Give that a whirl, see if it stabilises your connection.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
At this point I'd recommend resetting your BT modem/router back to its original settings, be it through a reset button buried in the back side or a menu option. Then set it up and configure it so you've got a stable, working home network. Leave any special settings and tweaks for after everything is working as it should, and then make any customizations one at a time so you know that if something doesn't work out you simply change that particular setting back to what it was before.
Here's a link to a good guide on basics of setting up a home network. It's kind of lengthy but it's in five sections and really only the first two are what you should focus on, with the remaining three being more about optimizations and other miscellany.
http://lifehacker.com/5833254/know-your-network-the-complete-guide

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
It is only this device that has the problems though! Everything else is perfect!
OK, that does paint a different picture. Perhaps resetting your modem/router isn't the issue and we should refocus on your Xperia Z5. What have you tried at this point to fix things? The simplest thing is just rebooting your phone as often clears minor glitches. Going into your phone's Settings >> WiFi, choosing 'Forget' after long pressing on your home WiFi SSID, and then re-selecting your WiFi again might help. If your phone has recently had a system update you might also want to restart your phone in its Recovery Mode and select the option to wipe your system cache partition. (The system cache partition is completely separate from the general user partition, where you personal data is stored, so it won't affect your data at all.)

If you have tried those basic things already and your Z5 is still having a problem, when you go into Settings >> WiFi and selecting your home SSID, a brief summary page should pop up. What does it show under the 'Signal strength', 'Link speed', and 'IP address'?
Also, are you having this WiFi problem when connecting to other WiFi networks?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones