• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
If you have the wifi access saved for a particular wifi access point(say home or work) your phone will always choose wifi over data. I believe that texts are sent over your cell service and not data so you should still receive the text and be able to use the phone. Unless you put your phone into airplane mode (which turns off every radio on the phone) you will be fine.

Reactions: guttyla
Upvote 0
If I have access to both wifi and data does the phone use wifi? Do I need to turn off data? If so, is there an app that does it automatically? With data off can I still get texts? Can I still use the phone? Thx

If Wi-Fi is available at your location you can access it by turning on Wi-Fi access and answering whatever the required security information that it asks.

If you are at that location and turn Wi-Fi access on it will logon and use Wi-Fi for data transfers. If you turn Wi-Fi access off it will use a tower to transfer the data. You control which is used by turning Wi-Fi on or off.

You can still use voice through the tower if you are connected to Wi-Fi.

... Thom

Reactions: guttyla
Upvote 0
If you have the wifi access saved for a particular wifi access point(say home or work) your phone will always choose wifi over data. I believe that texts are sent over your cell service and not data so you should still receive the text and be able to use the phone. Unless you put your phone into airplane mode (which turns off every radio on the phone) you will be fine.

Just to add, MMS messages are always sent and received over 3G/LTE, but the amount of data transferred does not count against your data plan. If you do send or receive a lot of MMS messages, you will want to keep data on, even when connected to WiFi.

Upvote 0
Just to add, MMS messages are always sent and received over 3G/LTE, but the amount of data transferred does not count against your data plan. If you do send or receive a lot of MMS messages, you will want to keep data on, even when connected to WiFi.

Thanks. I was not sure and was about to do some experimenting with my phone and the wife's.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones