1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Considering a tablet? Advice.

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by ZingXao, Apr 28, 2012.

1. ZingXao

ZingXao Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 11, 2011
    Hey there.

Made a previous thread regarding tablets but am a little unsure on what to get between an Android Tablet or an iPad.

My reasons for wanting a tablet are that I want a portable device where I can watch movies, play music, play the occasional game, word process (notes in university), and then use Photoshop Touch, and the other Adobe apps. I do Advertising in university, so in my opinion, those apps would be very beneficial to me, and useful companions to Photoshop and Illustrator on my MacBook Pro.

Also, I feel it makes sense to have a tablet for when travelling, such as on the train, or short stays out of town, and I can use it as a portable, digital portfolio for my graphic work.

I have an Android phone, and I love the OS. I also love iOS and OSX after having iPod's, and my Mac.

Now the thing that put's me off getting an Android tablet is the fact after watching many videos, Honeycomb seems quite laggy, and the Adobe Apps seem laggy, also. On the iPad it's very smooth, and I've see this first hand since my friend has one. The thing that makes me want an Android tablet is that they're cheaper and have less hardware and software (flash etc.) limitations. Then again, the App Store seems a lot more commercial than the Play Store, which I find appealing.

So yeah. What do you think I should do? iPad or Android? How well does PS Touch run on Android?

Advertisement

2. mpw

mpw Android Expert
    None

Jan 1, 2010
    the past
    Personally I'd go for an Android; but not because of cost, as I haven't seen budget hardware that could compare to the iPad, and comparable hardware doesn't cost that much less than Apple's.

I'd go for a Samsung of he current crop, or hold out until the summer to see if Google do a Nexus Tablet, or Samsung deliver the N8000

3. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    You have a Macbook? Get the iPad.

4. ZingXao

ZingXao Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 11, 2011
    Is there an Android tablet comparable to the new iPad for a similar price, or should I just stick with Apple since I have a Mac?

... and then sell my Android and get an iPhone and have the whole set. lol.

5. mpw

mpw Android Expert
    None

Jan 1, 2010
    the past
    Samsung have a range that compete on different levels.

Probably the straightest fight would be with the Galaxy Tab 10.1 which is just a little less expensive than the iPad.

But depending on your needs you might like the 8.9", which in wifi/3G guise has standard phone functionality too, which the iPad can't match.

Just around the corner(but this IS Sams u n g we're talking about!) is the GT10.1Note and GT2 10.1, both bringing a little more to the party.

6. MSUgEEk

MSUgEEk Android Expert
    None

Apr 22, 2010
    Electrical Design Engineer
    Northwestern Alabama
    Check the Asus Transformer Prime. Ice Cream Sandwich is miles ahead of Honeycomb.

7. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique
    None

Nov 8, 2009
    District of Columbia
    Yep, I have one now and it's a hell of a lot better than our old 10.1.
    Engadget just reviewed the Acer Iconia 510. They gave it great remarks.
    Acer Iconia Tab A510 review -- Engadget
    It's also a touch cheaper than the Prime.

8. MSUgEEk

MSUgEEk Android Expert
    None

Apr 22, 2010
    Northwestern Alabama
    ^this. I knew there were a couple of other newer ones out that ran ICS too. I think the Transformer Prime is more of a direct comparison to the iPad as it is a spec beast and in the same price range as an upper tier iPad. But you can definitely go the Iconia route for cheaper and get similar performance.

9. blisterpeanuts

None

Nov 5, 2009
    I have an iPad 2, a Kindle Fire, and (at work) a Samsung Tab 10.1. I'm a long time Nexus phone user and Android programmer. I use both the iPad and the Fire all the time.

My advice? Get an iPad. It's the best.

ZingXao likes this.
  10. MSUgEEk

MSUgEEk Android Expert
    None

Apr 22, 2010
    Northwestern Alabama
    I've been unimpressed with the Galaxy Tabs, especially without ICS. The Transformer Prime is on a different level.