• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Considering N7 as first Tablet, Couple Questions

s2005

Feb 22, 2012
So I'm looking to buy my first tablet.

I was going to buy an Amazon Kindle Fire, but this Google N7 is so much better from what I've read.

I have a couple concerns.

One, the OTG Host mode. I have the cable with microUSB to Female USB. I use flash/thumb drives a LOT and would LOVE to be able to move files from one to the other on the fly.

*Ninja Edit* Found my answer to the first one. Gotta be root, which is the first thing I'd do to it when I get it anyway.

Two, does the N7 not have an HDMI out?

No doubt those smaller internals cost more, but (and I have no idea) would including an MHL out cost that much more to production?

By itself? It wouldn't. It'd cost a little bit more. On the other hand, if it costs them five bucks more, times 500,000 units... It could be the difference between turning a meager profit or not. The company I work for makes embedded devices - you might be shocked at how small a difference in cost can make or break a profit margin.

Plus - MHL isn't that much more. But neither is doubling the memory capacity. And adding cellular connectivity. And a micro SD card slot. And haptic feedback. And a notification LED. And a rear-facing camera. And...

And you can add features until the device is now double in price :). They picked what was important to hit an extremely low price point. Any feature can be argued to not add much in price - but someone will make that argument for ANY of the features, and adding ALL of them is expensive.

P.S. if you look at the teardown of the Nexus, you'll find most of the components are stock "phone-sized" components. You're getting little to no miniaturization in a cell phone; just a smaller battery and screen.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys for all the info! HDMI isn't a make it or break it add, but it would be really really nice. I may hold out for a different tablet... I have to use an old broken laptop for Netflix and HBOgo right now... was hoping the tablet could do that for me. It does do OTG with root, so that was one of my requirements to even consider the device.

I went to Bestbuy/Gamestop/&Sam's Club and ALL of them were sold out, and didn't even have a display model for me to fondle. They all also only had 16GB versions. Is the Play Store the ONLY place you can buy an 8GB?

I've never owned a tablet, and never used "cloud" before. Is it free? If it is, then the 8GB should be fine for me. I don't really want to spend $50 more for 8 more GB when I can have a flash drive linked in OTG.

Upvote 0
...Is the Play Store the ONLY place you can buy an 8GB?...

I've yet to see an 8GB anywhere but the Play Store. While I'm really happy with my 8GB, I will be passing it down to my brother as soon as I have the money for a 16GB. I like the cloud and all (yes, it's free), but I could really use the extra internal space.

Upvote 0
I remember hearing something about streaming it onto my TV? Is this possible via a third device? What devices will do this?

I have a PS3, Wii, and 360

Another question: What other options are there for tablets that are around $200-$250 that can do OTG and HDMI/MHL. I prefer 7"... I looked at the Asus Transformers but they are $400 :0

What do you guys think about the Motorola Xoom?

Upvote 0
Another question: What other options are there for tablets that are around $200-$250 that can do OTG and HDMI/MHL. I prefer 7"... I looked at the Asus Transformers but they are $400 :0

The Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 supports HDMI out via a cable/dock, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're really comfortable tinkering with root/roms/etc, as the firmware it comes with/upgrades to is absolute garbage, and Samsung is among the worst of the hardware vendors when it comes to providing timely updates.. On the up side, however, their hardware is top-notch :)

Upvote 0
I had a Captivate rooted/rom'd and an Infuse rooted/rom'd but I'm using a Moto Atrix2 right now. I had problems with the Captivate and Infuse...

Thats why I was thinking about a Xoom. I think i'm just going to bite the bullet and try out the N7. My local Walmart actually has them in stock! :O

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones