1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Considering S7 from Droid Maxx

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Rich_NY, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Rich_NY

Rich_NY Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 21, 2011
    I love my Droid Maxx, love the battery life, love that it reads me texts while driving. Its time for a new phone. I'm considering S7 or S7 Edge. Will the 3600 mah battery be comperable to the Maxx's 3900 mah with the new efficiency optimizations? Does the S7 have the ability to read me texts while I'm driving? Those are my 2 biggest concerns. Thanks.

Advertisement

2. Dnos

Dnos Lurker
    None

Aug 30, 2011
    I can't really speak about the battery life, but I'd imagine it'd be pretty comparable. If your 3900mah battery juuuuuust got you through the day, the yes, 3600mah battery of galaxy s7 Edge might not make it without a charge. Note that only the S7 Edge has the 3600mah battery, as the standard S7 has a 3000mah battery.

As far as your phone reading texts to you while driving, it appears that was an option using Motorola's "Moto Assist". The attached article notes that Motorola will not be producing future updates for Moto Assist and a few other programs on Android's Marshmallow OS. This is because " features that Motorola offered with these applications are now built in natively to Android, meaning that their existence is no longer required. "
    So it reads like stock Marshmallow OS will include a driving app or something of the sort that will read texts to you and possibly a few other features.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/10/02/motorola-to-shut-down-moto-software-services-marshmallow/

I'm a very satisfied Samsung user, and I can always in good conscience recommend them to others.
    Thanks.

svim and KOLIO like this.
  3. Rich_NY

None

Apr 21, 2011
    Thanks for clarifying regarding moto assist. yes I know the Edge is the 3600 VS 3000. Im hoping the 3600 will be comprable to my 3900 mah

4. Snakeyeskm

Snakeyeskm Android Expert

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US
    Just a minor, and possibly unnecessary point on battery life. You might feel some initial disappointment with your new phone like all owners trying out new equipment. There is a natural tendency to play with the phone and its different features in the first few weeks creating a surprisingly higher load on the battery. Over time as usage becomes more standard this tends to even out.
    As far as reading text messages, you have several different options that work great, including using the app MacroDroid which will enable text reading under specific conditions and environments while allowing you to create appropriate constraints under other conditions. This has worked great on my Galaxy S6 edge and I see no reason that the Galaxy S7 not have these capabilities.

Cheers and enjoy the new phone.

KOLIO likes this.
  5. Rich_NY

None

Apr 21, 2011
    Thanks Snakeyeskm!

6. recDNA

recDNA Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 4, 2010
    Your Maxx processor uses less power than the Edge processor. The Edge has more Samsung "stuff" on it. 3600<3900. If you expect battery life to be as good as the Maxx which is pretty much designed for battery life you may be disappointed. If you enjoy the features (I use a lot of Samsung apps) and the looks and the snappy processor you won't mind charging an hour sooner.

I have even read complaints that the Maxx drains too fast! Everything is dependent on your use patterns and expectations. Lower them a little and you will be pleasantly surprised.

7. Rich_NY

None

Apr 21, 2011
    Thanks recDNA, I hope so, I think im taking the plung. Not sure why phones these days, arent more then the 3 yr old 3900 mah of the MAXX. Seems like it should be a no brainer.

8. dan409

dan409 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 15, 2010
    WNY
    I have a moto x 2014 that I can't get rid of. Tried the G6 and Note 5. I just find that I miss the active screen to much. Just waving my had over the phone, or waking it up with voice actions from an off state is something I can't get away from with the kind of work that I do.
    I heard abut the the always on screens on the new S7 and S7Edge but at the sacrifice of .08 % an hour battery life.
    May have to give the new Turbo a whirl but am not to thrilled about the size of that or the Moto X pure style or maxx 2 sizes. lol.
    Anyways, good luck with whatever you decide to buy !

Samsung Galaxy S7

The Samsung Galaxy S7 was launched in 2016 and was one of two devices in the lineup. The device features a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 2560 x 1440, 4GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 12MP rear camera.