• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Considering switching carriers

sequre

Mar 11, 2010
My primary reason for considering looking at other carriers would be if Verizon decides not to release the Nexus Prime on their network. The current selection of Android phones as of recently has not really grabbed my attention. I've currently owned an HTC Incredible since day -1 and have been pleased with it ever since. The time is coming up shortly that it will be time to move on and again nothing is appealing as far as devices on the VZW network in my opinion.

Of course there are pro's and con's for a decision like this. Luckily I'm not under contract and haven't been for some time. I would however lose my unlimited data as this will be kept unless I disconnect the account (since it was grandfathered in). Then it comes down to a GSM network. Do I really want to drop calls? I've only dropped one phone call in the 2 years I've had this phone. I hear people complain about every other provider other than VZW.

If I did make the switch, I'm thinking T-Mobile. But I know the merger is coming up and I'm not sure i'd want to get involved in all of that mess. The next best option I would think would be AT&T. Sprint is not an option for me.

What do you guys think?

Don't do it. I tried the same thing and went with ATT and it was so bad I had to switch back. If you are thinking about it go buy an ATT phone and do not port your number. See how it runs for the month and make your decision. You don't want to port out and realize ATT sucks or you will lose your unlimited data when porting back into Verizon. ATT 3g is worse then Verizons 3g in my area by a lot.

Upvote 0
Wimax sucks and Sprints current coverage map is a joke. Once you leave the east coast it seems like you are roaming unless you are in a major city or highway. Might as well go with cricket.

What's wrong with roaming? It's Verizon's network you get to roam on at no additional charge.

I'll take 3-4 Mb/s with WiMAX and be able to steam/download as much content as I want over having 2GB of data a month.

Upvote 0
All roaming minutes go against your overall minutes. So mobile to mobile wont help you. In a lot of these areas coverage is very weak but not completely gone so if you do get service its going to be bad.

When I had Sprint I could never connect to wimax and when I did it was slightly better then Verizon 3g. I would be driving or in a building and the connection is non existent. Wimax in my area has not been expanded since before the Evo 4g came out and its not like I am in the middle of nowhere. With Verizon I get 15-18+ Mb/s no matter if I am driving, in my house or outside. I also have my unlimited data.

Upvote 0
It's funny because the day I posted this thread, there go the rumors floating around about the Prime being spotted at Verizon HQ. I've given it some thought... VZW has never done me wrong, i've been very pleased with the reliability and customer service that they provide.

If it ain't broke.. Don't fix it!

Reactions: johnlgalt
Upvote 0
All roaming minutes go against your overall minutes. So mobile to mobile wont help you. In a lot of these areas coverage is very weak but not completely gone so if you do get service its going to be bad.

When I had Sprint I could never connect to wimax and when I did it was slightly better then Verizon 3g. I would be driving or in a building and the connection is non existent. Wimax in my area has not been expanded since before the Evo 4g came out and its not like I am in the middle of nowhere. With Verizon I get 15-18+ Mb/s no matter if I am driving, in my house or outside. I also have my unlimited data.

Something else if I recall correctly. With data roaming on Verizon's network Sprint customers are limited to 1X data speeds, and are given low priority on the towers. Meaning if the tower gets crowded, the ones roaming get bumped off in favor of Verizon customers.

Reactions: multanii
Upvote 0
im leaning for the nexus prime myself as well, however if it doesnt come to verizon, i will be highly upset, cause i havent seen a phone released yet that can trump my DX, i dont have 4G and wont have it til 2013 so whats the point of getting the Charge? or the Bionic? i want something on release day so i can be with others in their quest to make the phone something incredible!

Upvote 0
It's funny because the day I posted this thread, there go the rumors floating around about the Prime being spotted at Verizon HQ. I've given it some thought... VZW has never done me wrong, i've been very pleased with the reliability and customer service that they provide.

If it ain't broke.. Don't fix it!

You'll never convince me to leave Verizon. At the end of the day I use my phone primarily as... shocker... a phone. I need it to text and send/receive calls without hiccups. Verizon does that. There is only 1 area in the entire state of NY where I live where I have to do the signal dance to grab bars to do texting and phones. Oh and it's deep in the heart of the Catskills so I'm pretty sure that's as good as it gets.

My friend had the iPhone w/ ATT at college 2 years ago and never got to use his phone for anything other than a calculator. Ended up buying a prepaid junk phone. We went to college 6 hours from any major city or town, I had full bars he had 0. Sprints worse and Tmobile is what moms give their 11 year olds because it's cheap and cheap. VZW4L!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones