1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Considering the Root...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by TheManWithNoNa, Jul 28, 2011.

1. TheManWithNoNa

None

Jul 26, 2011
    First, I apologize if this has been covered before. I've done as much research as I could so far so please go easy on me.;)

OK, I am an absolute beginner with Rooting and Android in general. This is my first Android phone (coming from a BB Storm and I HATE all that has to do with Apple), and I

Advertisement

2. brizey

brizey Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 25, 2011
    1) No. I did mine after the update. The guide on XDA has not been updated because the process has not changed.

2) If you sync your contacts to your gmail account you will have no issues--when you flash a new ROM and set up to sync with gmail--boom--they will all be there. You really need a google account to run the phone anyway, so there is no real point to not back up your contacts with google.

3) You will have to download and install the OTA radio (627r) and download and install the rooted ROM to make your phone functionally the same. BUT: you will run the risk of accidentally accepting the next OTA which may permanently unroot or brick your phone (unknown for now, but the risk is there and warning issued by the devs that know more about this stuff than me). Your phone will be functionally the same, but some programs that store data on the phone will lose that data...mostly games. Your email, etc. will be fine.

One more thing...if you are that dependent on your phone (not saying that is a bad thing...work..kids...etc. can make the phone very important and not everyone has $600 to drop on a new phone)...you should at least have a backup plan. For example, I have an old flip prepaid phone that I can use in a pinch if I screw things up.

3. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    Dont worry, once you root the phone will be fully functional unless you decide to try a rom that clearly states it is not fully functional (MIUI is the only one like this that I know of)

First time rooting can be stressful but I am sure if you need help with any of the process someone will be here to help you along ;)